• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This ebay seller's comment made me cringe

6 posts in this topic

Fortunately, she only sold elongateds - seven pages of them, in fact. Cents, nickels, dimes, and even a few Japanese Yen that were pressed in Hawaii.

What was her comment? Here is the copy/paste:

Before creating my images, I sometimes 
clean coins a bit t

o remove tarnish & grime but may not polish them.   T

ouch-ups could be done by the new owner as desired.

:p
I am glad she doesn't sell anything valuable.

Oooh....that's not good Bob, I agree with you.  And, I am also glad that she's not selling any high dollar numismatic material.  That would be a tragedy.

Maybe things are different for collectors of elongated cents?  Perhaps a gently worded email to her to suggest that she leaves the cleaning to the buyers would be well received.  Or not and she might block you ;)  

Once you put a coin through a press I don't imagine you can do much more to hurt it. 

I'm much more bothered by language some sellers use to hype things and encourage speculation / "investment" purchases. Those will make you ill. Especially when you know the market for the series peaked 5+ years ago and prices have consistently declined since then and currently sit well below the dealer's / pusher's asking price.

Edited by Revenant

5 minutes ago, Revenant said:

Once you put a coin through a press I don't imagine you can do much more to hurt it. 

I'm much more bothered my language some sellers use to hype things and encourage speculation / "investment" purchases. Those will make you ill. Especially when you know the market for the series peaked 5+ years ago and prices have consistently declined since then and currently sit well below the dealer's / pusher's asking price.

I agree with that thought also and there are a lot of sellers, both on eBay and in other venues, that do this kind of thing.  I never market anything I sell as an investment, always as a hobby/collectible purchase because that's what it is......a collectible.  It's not really an investment.....I've made the mistake of using collectibles as investments in the past and I've found that approach to be problematic for many reasons.

Even the grimiest Coin tends to look shinier after the squishing process.  Unless there is a mention of rarity or potential investment benefit in her copy, I don't see any harm in her cleaning her product before the squish.  Mentioning it might make numismatists squirm, but dedicated elongated collectors probably appreciate her thoughtfulness.