• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obvious Counterfeit?

2 posts in this topic

I recently purchased from a local dealer an 1884 Morgan Dollar in AU-58/MS condition with natural-looking luster.  I did not notice until I got it home that it has an 1878 reverse.  Not having seen anything in any official publications about such an error, I assume the coin is counterfeit, but I have also not heard of this type of counterfeit and for such a common coin.  I don't have a scale for weighing the coin, but the weight feels right and the surface looks to be silver.  When dropped, it appears to have the appropriate "ring".  The reeded edge looks natural with no seams.  Under magnification, there appears to be light scratching on both sides, and the strikes on both sides look to be unusually crisp.  I am attaching pictures, but my camera is not very good.

DSC01040.JPG

DSC01043.JPG

DSC01044.JPG

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

You answered your own question: the 1878 reverse with parallel upper arrow feather is a dead giveaway that it's a fake.