• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large cents grades?

7 posts in this topic

I agree with JKK on grades.  Grade is not everything with large cent coins.  Rare die pairs can command quite the premium.  Attributing your coins would be in your best interest.  Some rare die pairs may not even be available in mint state.

21 hours ago, Coin Cave said:

I agree with JKK on grades.  Grade is not everything with large cent coins.  Rare die pairs can command quite the premium.  Attributing your coins would be in your best interest.  Some rare die pairs may not even be available in mint state.

Thanks both of y’all..I’m not very knowledgeable about that, so If been doing a lot “googling” thanks for the information

Edited by B.L.21

The biggest drags on otherwise decent large cents, in my observation, are edge dings (if my grading understanding is correct, EF can't have edge dings) and cleaning (usually leaves a really ugly color). These look pretty good.

19 minutes ago, JKK said:

The biggest drags on otherwise decent large cents, in my observation, are edge dings (if my grading understanding is correct, EF can't have edge dings) and cleaning (usually leaves a really ugly color). These look pretty good.

Based on my time at the brick and mortar shop, I'd agree completely with that assessment.  I've seen some really nasty looking cleaned Large Cents in my time, usually some sort of neon orangish color which stands out like a sore thumb....not good.  The edge dings are a problem too.....lots of edge dings among surviving examples.  There are a lot of abused Large Cents out there......I've often wondered if it's because they were basically the first US coins to be widely collected and, as such, they were given 19th Century "love" earlier and for longer than other US coins.  As we all know, that 19th and 20th Century "love" was often a toxic love as shiny was everything back then, so the metal polish was often broken out.  Even the US Mint collection was polished numerous times back then!

Edited by Mohawk