• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Acquired a "Bar Cent" [1785, New York]

11 posts in this topic

This past weekend I was able to grab a 1785 New York bar cent at auction. I checked the diagnostics, and it is NOT the Civil War era reproduction. The A is over the S, not under. Here's the problem - it has some corrosion, both sides, but the bar side is cleaner than the USA side. The corrosion will likely prevent a straight grade, but I'd like to have NGC look at it for verification and a details grade. Is this a piece that NGC will do?

14 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Got pictures?

Soon.  I don't keep a photo rig set up regularly. My Sony mirrorless has been being outfitted with Smallrig cage accessories for a trip across the pond to "the blessed plot". Maybe my low power microscope. I am for sure bringing it to Rosemont in August for the EAC meeting at the ANA show.

14 hours ago, World Colonial said:

If that's a "cherrypick", that's quite a find.  I also understand NGC will evaluate it.

Yes, it may be the pickiest pick this picker has e'er picked up. I'm still checking it for all the diagnostics I can find and "so far, so good". I just wish the USA side was less pitted. Don't get me wrong. It's not a "hot mess", but I'm usually a condition snob. A back-country auction in York County, PA very near to the Maryland line. I won't quote what I paid. I metaphorically "stole it".

Edited by VKurtB

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Soon.  I don't keep a photo rig set up regularly. My Sony mirrorless has been being outfitted with Smallrig cage accessories ...

What!? No blurry cell phone pics taken from two feet away? :wink:

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I won't quote what I paid. I metaphorically "stole it".

You "Stole It", only if it turns out to be authentic.  Please let us know the outcome of the NGC Eval. 

29 minutes ago, Mokiechan said:

You "Stole It", only if it turns out to be authentic.  Please let us know the outcome of the NGC Eval. 

It was so low a price that even if it is an early fake, which are collectible in their own right, it was a steal. Even the auctioneer had ZERO idea what a bar cent even is.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

What!? No blurry cell phone pics taken from two feet away? :wink:

Self-awareness is the genesis of wisdom. :preach:

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Self-awareness is the genesis of wisdom. :preach:

After throwing SERIOUS light and magnification on it, I'm suspecting a cast fake. A nicely done casting, but I see where the edge was doctored to hide the path of the flowing metal. A few of the "corrosion pits" are RAISED. Also, a few bars are iffy. Even so, for what I paid for it, it's worth it as a piece for a talk on pre-federal fakes.

Edited by VKurtB

23 hours ago, VKurtB said:

After throwing SERIOUS light and magnification on it, I'm suspecting a cast fake. A nicely done casting, but I see where the edge was doctored to hide the path of the flowing metal. A few of the "corrosion pits" are RAISED. Also, a few bars are iffy. Even so, for what I paid for it, it's worth it as a piece for a talk on pre-federal fakes.

That's too bad. It would have been a great buy.