• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 letter on the side?

5 posts in this topic

Just damage, it has taken a hit with something. It is impossible for that to happen during the striking of a coin.

The lines on the column look incuse which means they are probably just a scratch.

6 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Just damage, it has taken a hit with something. It is impossible for that to happen during the striking of a coin.

The lines on the column look incuse which means they are probably just a scratch.

Agreed with Greenstang on all points.  PMD all around.

It's deceptive because I can see where it looks like a letter, or part of one. The problem there would be: in such a case, there would be other letters near that one, plus probably a rim, and I don't see any sign of that sort of thing. A die would not do that because a die is incuse and would not cause an incuse marking. In the absence of a plausible mint error scenario one has to default to the most common explanation of PMD.

Think "dropped letter".  Problem is no letter that size on the one cent piece has serifs like that.  So that pretty much eliminates a dropped letter.  So I would have to agree, some form of PSD.