• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 D Dime .. mule clash?

12 posts in this topic

Anyone know what the image is on the torch of my 1971 D Dime? And seems image on the obv as well ear, hair, etc.. I'll comment and upload that pic (obv) too apparently both files too big to do at the same time.. Thanx!

1971 D Dime Mule clash Rev.png

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

It appears to have been damaged after it left the mint.

Do you know how this damage happens after it leaves the mint?.. Are the coins still soft enough to receive an impression? Curious thanx Bob!

5 minutes ago, Travis Hale said:

Looks to me like someone was crudely, but unsuccessfully trying to make a hole in the middle. Maybe out of boredom or curiosity... just a guess ..

Travis

Lol probably! 

I had a similar experience with this coin & I promise after a while the mind sees what it wants, but most of what looked like numbers & letters under spectral light was just post mint damage...

081ECF64-B47A-437D-92DC-B7849B89D151.jpeg

A1A25AF0-86F7-48D2-B871-33E33C8C1B33.jpeg

oh wow yes, I'd be curious about that coin too.. but ya, I see what u mean. Some of my coins drive me crazy, my last resort is the help of you fine folks :) 

Agreed with Bob, Travis and Greenstang.  Definite post minting damage.  There is no way that what is going on with that dime was created during the striking process.