• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Un known peace dollar

18 posts in this topic

Came across a 1964 D mint peace dollar and showed it to a friend who has a precious metals coin and bullion store, he flipped as he examined it and weighed it and when he put it on a precious metals verification machine he was amazed and excited because not only was it the correct dimensions and weight for a genuine peace dollar but it was also 90% silver and in pristine condition almost a proof like appearance and he sent pictures of it to some associates in the industry and within 30 minutes his phone was blowing up with all kinds of dealers and private collectors wanting to know what I was going to do with it, but I ran out of time and had to return to my ailing father's side at the hospital, I have no idea as to the value of it because I honestly don't have enough experience in coin trading or buying to even guess but I thought I would share the story here and see if anyone has any ideas on the subject. 

All 326,000 of the 1964D Peace Dollars were supposed to have been destroyed so what you have is either a one of a kind or a counterfeit.

Will need pictures of both sides to evaluate.

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I smell bovine excrement.

Me too.  I got a PM about this, believe it or not.  I'll say what I said there....it's a fake of some sort, possibly a Dan Carr special.

12 hours ago, numisport said:

I paid around 200.00 for mine on ebay in original DCarr flip.

Wow. Really?

I think I'd rather have a genuine coin.

26 minutes ago, Revenant said:

Wow. Really?

I think I'd rather have a genuine coin.

I would as well, my friend.  There are many cool, genuine coins that one could get for $200. 

10 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Me too.  I got a PM about this, believe it or not.  I'll say what I said there....it's a fake of some sort, possibly a Dan Carr special.

The coin is not the only thing fake in this thread.

Think what you will about Dan Carr's Peace dollars and never mind his rendition of the original Broken Sword reverse, you wont appreciate that either. Of course you can set aside the fact that they have held their value well over past few years when many other issues continue to fall. I think the 1917, 1918, and 1919 Peace dollars make an attractive set. I look forward to the 1920 coin when it becomes available.

13 hours ago, Just Bob said:

The coin is not the only thing fake in this thread.

Indeed.  And.....I have the sinking feeling that this is starting to turn into one of those Dan Carr threads again. 

4 hours ago, numisport said:

Think what you will about Dan Carr's Peace dollars and never mind his rendition of the original Broken Sword reverse, you wont appreciate that either. Of course you can set aside the fact that they have held their value well over past few years when many other issues continue to fall. I think the 1917, 1918, and 1919 Peace dollars make an attractive set. I look forward to the 1920 coin when it becomes available.

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Indeed.  And.....I have the sinking feeling that this is starting to turn into one of those Dan Carr threads again. 

I was not referring to the Carr Dollar. That is a subject for another thread.

I was talking about the OP's story about the dealer getting all excited.and all of the other dealers and collectors blowing up his phone. Any dealer or true US collector would know that there are numerous fakes and copies of this coin, and only ignorant ones would get excited about the news that another one had been found. I believe the story to be as fake as the alleged coin. I don't even believe the part about the "ailing father."

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

I was not referring to the Carr Dollar. That is a subject for another thread.

I was talking about the OP's story about the dealer getting all excited.and all of the other dealers and collectors blowing up his phone. Any dealer or true US collector would know that there are numerous fakes and copies of this coin, and only ignorant ones would get excited about the news that another one had been found. I believe the story to be as fake as the alleged coin. I don't even believe the part about the "ailing father."

I did catch that, but I should have been more clear.  I'm having a bad allergy day, so I'm pretty foggy, between the allergies themselves and the pills I have to take for them.  And you're right........that story is as fake as the coin in question.  However, I am concerned about the Carr thread possibility......that whole issue always seems to find a way to rise from the dead again, even after we've put the zombie down.

46 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

However, I am concerned about the Carr thread possibility......that whole issue always seems to find a way to rise from the dead again, even after we've put the zombie down.

And if we let it, it will eat our brains, exactly as custom requires.

1 minute ago, JKK said:

And if we let it, it will eat our brains, exactly as custom requires.

Indeed it will!  We have to be ready to spike it through the head the minute it comes our way.

Just now, Mohawk said:

Indeed it will!  We have to be ready to spike it through the head the minute it comes our way.

The fun will come when we are asked what we think caused it. "Environmental damage, definitely post-mint. Your corpse is worth face value."

5 minutes ago, JKK said:

The fun will come when we are asked what we think caused it. "Environmental damage, definitely post-mint. Your corpse is worth face value."

LMAO!! That is simply fantastic, Jonathan, simply fantastic.  And it is easily the very best post ever written on this board in a thread where Dan Carr came up.  Kudos, my friend, kudos :golfclap: