1881 S morgan dollar grade question
2 2

11 posts in this topic

20 posts

What would you grade this coin? Some say it looks cleaned or polished and others say it's proof like. Looking for an honest informed opinion. Thank you.

 

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,927 posts

It's a little harder with the plastic of the flip intervening, but from what I can see it doesn't look whizzed or polished. I think the mark in front of Liberty's face is the main detractor on what looks like a very nicely struck uncirculated coin. My guess would be MS-63.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,816 posts

Those are not cleaning marks above the bonnet, they are die polish marks which was

done at the mint … usually acceptable for collecting standards.

The facial detractor is a bad one for me too - 63 sounds good to me too

No its not  PL its a Nice typical 81 s strike  - nice coin.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,866 posts

Man, it's been a while since I graded a Morgan.....but, after looking it over and thinking about it, I'm going to say MS 63 as well.  It's not a PL, but it's a solid BU Morgan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 posts
31 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

Those are not cleaning marks above the bonnet, they are die polish marks which was

done at the mint … usually acceptable for collecting standards.

The facial detractor is a bad one for me too - 63 sounds good to me too

No its not  PL its a Nice typical 81 s strike  - nice coin.

 

So the blackness by the plur isn’t toning? That was first assumption, I offered $40 for the coin and the dealer gave it to me for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,570 posts
1 hour ago, Terence8788 said:

So the blackness by the plur isn’t toning? That was first assumption, I offered $40 for the coin and the dealer gave it to me for free.

It looks like toning to me.

He gave it to you? Did he offer an explanation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 posts
5 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

It looks like toning to me.

He gave it to you? Did he offer an explanation?

He didn’t give an explanation, I guess he wants to keep me as a customer. I was shocked because to my beginner eyes it looks like a fabulous uncir coin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
370 posts

Guys, this kind of looks like the polished 1881-o that I have & that looks too good to be true. I do believe theirs something going on with these coins being this way. They almost look fake... 

 

Travis

D4BA85E7-4F86-4542-9F8F-57A82AD6BF01.jpeg

0089556D-E55C-41C1-AFE5-AD6386A09B9B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
370 posts

If you look at the word DOLLAR on hers especially there is an odd marking around it. It’s harder to see on mine because I believe whoever played it , but it’s on it as well...

 

Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,866 posts
On 6/10/2019 at 12:58 PM, Travis Hale said:

Guys, this kind of looks like the polished 1881-o that I have & that looks too good to be true. I do believe theirs something going on with these coins being this way. They almost look fake... 

 

Travis

D4BA85E7-4F86-4542-9F8F-57A82AD6BF01.jpeg

0089556D-E55C-41C1-AFE5-AD6386A09B9B.jpeg

Man....someone polished that to within an inch of its life!! I don't even like Morgans, but that's a sad thing to see, even for me!

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2