• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1881 S morgan dollar grade question

11 posts in this topic

It's a little harder with the plastic of the flip intervening, but from what I can see it doesn't look whizzed or polished. I think the mark in front of Liberty's face is the main detractor on what looks like a very nicely struck uncirculated coin. My guess would be MS-63.

Those are not cleaning marks above the bonnet, they are die polish marks which was

done at the mint … usually acceptable for collecting standards.

The facial detractor is a bad one for me too - 63 sounds good to me too

No its not  PL its a Nice typical 81 s strike  - nice coin.

Man, it's been a while since I graded a Morgan.....but, after looking it over and thinking about it, I'm going to say MS 63 as well.  It's not a PL, but it's a solid BU Morgan.

31 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

Those are not cleaning marks above the bonnet, they are die polish marks which was

done at the mint … usually acceptable for collecting standards.

The facial detractor is a bad one for me too - 63 sounds good to me too

No its not  PL its a Nice typical 81 s strike  - nice coin.

So the blackness by the plur isn’t toning? That was first assumption, I offered $40 for the coin and the dealer gave it to me for free.

1 hour ago, Terence8788 said:

So the blackness by the plur isn’t toning? That was first assumption, I offered $40 for the coin and the dealer gave it to me for free.

It looks like toning to me.

He gave it to you? Did he offer an explanation?

5 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

It looks like toning to me.

He gave it to you? Did he offer an explanation?

He didn’t give an explanation, I guess he wants to keep me as a customer. I was shocked because to my beginner eyes it looks like a fabulous uncir coin 

If you look at the word DOLLAR on hers especially there is an odd marking around it. It’s harder to see on mine because I believe whoever played it , but it’s on it as well...

Travis

On 6/10/2019 at 12:58 PM, Travis Hale said:

Guys, this kind of looks like the polished 1881-o that I have & that looks too good to be true. I do believe theirs something going on with these coins being this way. They almost look fake... 

Travis

D4BA85E7-4F86-4542-9F8F-57A82AD6BF01.jpeg

0089556D-E55C-41C1-AFE5-AD6386A09B9B.jpeg

Man....someone polished that to within an inch of its life!! I don't even like Morgans, but that's a sad thing to see, even for me!

Edited by Mohawk
Typo