• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake 1776 continental currency coin?

9 posts in this topic

Definitely fake. A genuine one would be worth in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

There are very few genuine specimens known so there are probably more fakes than genuine ones

I get the fact that real ones are extremely rare. We have had this coin for about 40 years as far as I can tell. I was more looking for advice on how to tell a real one from a fake one.

I find in determining a Genuine and Counterfeit coin the best way is to compare a side by side with a known genuine coin.

Comparing yours with a genuine coin, you can see a difference in the spacing of some letters plus the sun has no rays showing inside the band. There are other smaller differences on both the Obverse and Reverse but this should be enough to see that it is fake.

1776 F O.jpg

3 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Definitely fake. A genuine one would be worth in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

There are very few genuine specimens known so there are probably more fakes than genuine ones

There absolutely are more fakes than genuine examples of this issue......no question about it.