• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euros ??

4 posts in this topic

With all the turmoil of the EU , will their be any deals to be had coin wise?

I no nothing about EU currency but I am sure someone here does.. I do remember that the Vatican Euros were very collectable at one time.

1 hour ago, MAULEMALL said:

With all the turmoil of the EU , will their be any deals to be had coin wise?

I no nothing about EU currency but I am sure someone here does.. I do remember that the Vatican Euros were very collectable at one time.

Wow......that's a good question, MAULEMALL.  I don't know how much the issues the EU is having will increase the numismatic values of the coins.  Many of them are high mintage issues, and the lower mintage ones already have a decent collectible value, as far as I know.  I also doubt that the NCLT issues will be impacted much price-wise by the problems going on there.  The Vatican Euros are collectible because they're very low mintage issues for modern coins.  I don't believe that they even really circulate.  I remember reading somewhere, I wish I could remember where, that the Vatican Euros (and their postage stamps) are made for sale to collectors and they are a significant source of revenue for the Vatican.  I may have even heard this talking to my mother-in-law, now that I think about it.  She likes coins and she's Catholic, so it's quite possible I heard this talking to her. 

Edited by Mohawk

Almost all of th Vatican issues are intended for collectors.  I'm not sure whether they actually put a small percentage of the mintage into circulation or not.  The population of Vatican city is very small, they really wouldn't have much need fore their own circulation coinage, especially withthe Euros of the other countries being legal tender.