• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PCGS Coins

9 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jdprice64 said:

Can PCGS coins be added to my registry - I am seeing conflicting information?  If so, how?

PCGS and other Third Party Graders can be added to CUSTOM sets only.  NGC graded coins can be added to custom and competitive sets

Any coin raw or in a TPG holder (PCGS, ANACS, etc) can be added to your inventory.  PCGS and NGC coins can be added to and seen in custom sets; only NGC holdered coins can be added to and used in competitive sets at this time.  If you had any competitive sets with PCGS coins in the set prior to the NGC only change, those PCGS coins are grandfathered in and will show and be counted in those competitive sets.

Hello,
Relatively new to much of this, but perhaps NGC will consider a category in which only NGC coins are considered, including old sets but without PCGS examples calculated in score. 
A balance could be restored. Maybe sets with PCGS coins can migrate to the 'Custom Set" category or be retired, with NGC coins allowed into competitive NGC only category.
It is truly unfair to compete under separate rules. I am considering reholdering all coins with either NGC or PCGS and upgrading for variety and photo. I prefer fair play as a principle. I am holding judgement since I am certain fair compromise will manifest.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Bright Future said:

Hello,
Relatively new to much of this, but perhaps NGC will consider a category in which only NGC coins are considered, including old sets but without PCGS examples calculated in score. 
A balance could be restored. Maybe sets with PCGS coins can migrate to the 'Custom Set" category or be retired, with NGC coins allowed into competitive NGC only category.
It is truly unfair to compete under separate rules. I am considering reholdering all coins with either NGC or PCGS and upgrading for variety and photo. I prefer fair play as a principle. I am holding judgement since I am certain fair compromise will manifest.

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, everyone. We will forward your comments to the senior team for their consideration and review. Please let us know when we may assist next with the NGC Registry.

On 7/29/2019 at 8:25 PM, Bright Future said:

Hello,

Something to consider:

When PCGS coins were removed from World Sets they were removed - no grandfathering occured. So all World category sets are already NGC only.

The US sets have a "Best in Category" award and an "NGC Best in Category" that excludes PCGS coins from the scoring. If the same set wins with and without PCGS coins, it wins both awards that year in that category.

Bright Future, I welcome your common sense, but I'm afraid you may be disappointed here.  The topic has been brought up before but no one in charge seems to care about fairness.  From experience, I don't really think the "senior team" looks at anything.

There are several ways a fair compromise could be made.  I prefer that the PRIMARY award is for NGC only coins, not the secondary award no one cares about. If they did that, it would some some fairness problems.  Second, they could let ANY PCGS be added, but get ZERO points, which would be great for people that just want to display their collections. They could give the SECONDARY awards to mixed collections, but allow the same rules for all. Very easy concept.

I'm a long time fan, buyer, support, and reasonable critic of NGC.  In this case, I'm afraid you may find a strong resistance to common sense here, so be warned!