• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2x2 flips

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys...sorry if this is a dumb question...been searching a lot and it seems some type of flips are not great for long term keeping of a coin. I guess my question is, is it ok to keep coins in the, for years at a time? Or should you rotate into a new flip every once in a while?

The ones that you want to be wary of are the kind that contain PVC, which can leach out and damage the coin. They can be recognized by their pliability, and their smell - they smell like a plastic shower curtain. Mylar flips are the safest kind. They are stiffer - almost brittle, but they will last a long time. I have some that have been holding the same coin for close to twenty years, with no adverse effects, and I am sure there are members who have had coins in the same flips for longer periods of time then mine.

Not a dumb question, by the way. It was a good one, actually.

Edited by Just Bob

Awesome, thank you quick reply...I’ve been using the BCW mylar flips which makes me feel better.

Edited by B.L.21

23 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

The ones that you want to be wary of are the kind that contain PVC, which can leach out and damage the coin. They can be recognized by their pliability, and their smell - they smell like a plastic shower curtain. Mylar flips are the safest kind. They are stiffer - almost brittle, but they will last a long time. I have some that have been holding the same coin for close to twenty years, with no adverse effects, and I am sure there are members who have had coins in the same flips for longer periods of time then mine.

Not a dumb question, by the way. It was a good one, actually.

Great question, B.L. 21.  I concur with Bob.  Just make sure the flips are non-PVC containing flips.  Bob's description was spot-on.  If you are still not sure, ask at the coin shop where you buy them or check on the site where you get them.

Bruce

In practice, since I don't think there is any market any more for PVC-based plastics in contact with coins, what this means is taking a good look at the apparent age of the flips of coins you acquire. If there seems any possibility at all that they are PVC, replacing them is automatic and absolutely necessary. Flips are so cheap it's penny-wise and pound-foolish to let a great coin rot in a PVC flip.

By the way, this also goes for tubes. I once had about forty PVC-deteriorating tubes of Jeffs and wheaties (think how many coins that is), which had left them all covered with disgusting green slime. Acetone will take it off, but for a while there they looked and felt like they had smurf mucous all over them. Definite drag.

I had a  year set of Japanese Coins from their mint that were in a PVC holder, this was before it became well known how damaging they were.  The coins all got coated with ugly green slime.   Don't ever buy a Japanese Mint Set in packaging like this:

s-l500.jpg

32 minutes ago, JKK said:

That is seriously sad, Mokie. Basically, the packaging did a bushururu on the coins.

Hey! Watch it! This is a family-friendly forum!

:nyah:

Did you mean Bushu-suru?

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Hey! Watch it! This is a family-friendly forum!

:nyah:

Did you mean Bushu-suru?

You're clearly more up on circa 1990 Japanese slang than I am.

I love Japanese coins, Mokie, and this is one of the saddest PVC victims I've seen on this forum........no one wants a Bushu-suru of any kind, but especially not on your coins!

Edited by Mohawk