• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identification help: 8 Ore piece (ND) uniface

3 posts in this topic

To spearhead some the “I found this on eBay” posts, I just received this item in the mail today from a seller on eBay. I usually try to avoid buying oddities that do not fit in my collection, but this was pretty cheap and interesting. The first thing that caught my eye is the odd denomination. I have never heard or seen a “modern” 8 Ore coin or token. That is not to say they do not exist, I personally have just never seen them. The other thing that caught my attention was the fact that it is uniface which is somewhat odd. I also am a sucker for die cracks and the reverse has a decent looking die crack. I did an initial google search to see what I could find and had very little luck. I did stumble upon a wiki page about “Foreningen Norden” which makes me believe this may have been a token issued by them; however, I could not find any evidence to substantiate that idea(Link to Foreningen_Norden Wikipedia page ). Given my limited knowledge about the subject area, I wanted to see if anyone here has any other ideas that I could explore.

The coin/token is roughly 23.76 mm in diameter and less than 1 mm thick. The fields are reflective and it appears to have been struck in brass. Any and all help provided is greatly appreciated! I did not have time to use my typical setup so please excuse the crude photos. 

1957083898_8oreObv..jpg.8822cbed1ef1ae44d7189381825d89e5.jpg984641461_8orerev..jpg.275d2bd49f2d36da26d72c156b702cbb.jpg

Edited by coinsandmedals
spelling

Well, I discovered that there is at least one other piece in existence, which also has the die crack, but not the clip. It is on the National Token Collectors Association website, but it is listed as a maverick - no town, no country. Sorry,I could not be more help.

10 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Well, I discovered that there is at least one other piece in existence, which also has the die crack, but not the clip. It is on the National Token Collectors Association website, but it is listed as a maverick - no town, no country. Sorry,I could not be more help.

Well you’ve already found more than I was able to. As always, thanks for your help Bob!