• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009 D gold quarters

2 posts in this topic

So they aren't experiment quarters? I found a website that said it was destroyed because  it costs to much to make. The planchette value was more than face value so The mint destroyed almost All of them and the roll was a new roll.

1 minute ago, Dan1015 said:

So they aren't experiment quarters? I found a website that said it was destroyed because  it costs to much to make. The planchette value was more than face value so The mint destroyed almost All of them and the roll was a new roll.

No, they aren't.  As you said yourself, the mint destroyed almost all of them.. That's correct.  What you're looking for is a quarter with the same composition as a Sacagawea Dollar or of a similar composition.  That's why they were destroyed.  The experimental quarters were never truly a test for changing the alloy of the quarter.  They were a test for the alloy of the Sacagawea Dollar and they were never meant to be released.  As far as I know, they were only struck using the 1999 designs and only at the Philadelphia Mint.  I found this site with some information as to what you're looking for:

https://mikebyers.com/exp25cset.html

I could tell immediately that your coins were plated, and the D mint mark shown on the one obverse photo you included is another tell tale sign that it's not an experimental quarter.  I've seen so many gold plated State Quarters, I know them immediately.