• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009 D gold quarters not plated

4 posts in this topic

Anyone know what it might be worth found them in my change from  the corner store so I ask if he had rolls of quarters and sure enough all gold and s proof quarters where in the roll and P,D,S mint marks

12 minutes ago, Dan1015 said:

Anyone know what it might be worth found them in my change from  the corner store so I ask if he had rolls of quarters and sure enough all gold and s proof quarters where in the roll and P,D,S mint marks

Sadly, they are plated and they're worth face value.  There is no other way that I can think of that a clad quarter would get that kind of coloration.  I do not know who told you that your coins are not plated, but they are incorrect.  Gold plated state quarters are extremely common.  There were many companies that created these during the State Quarter craze and sold them at a premium to people who weren't knowledgeable about coins.  After the State Quarter craze died off, many people who bought these tried to sell them to dealers who told them that these plated coins are actually considered damaged and they aren't worth anything over face value.  Thusly, many of these end up being dumped in circulation, which is what happened to the coins you found.  When I worked at a coin shop, people brought these in all the time and I had to tell many people this bad news.  We never bought them as they weren't worth anything unless people who had them had us take them off their hands at face value because they couldn't bring themselves to spend the coins themselves.  We then dumped them into our cash register and gave them out as change.

I'm sorry the news wasn't better.  Welcome to the Forums!

~Tom

I was just going to say the same thing as Mohawk but probably wouldn't have been worded as well.

They are just considered Novelty Coins with no extra value.