• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Error Submission Question

6 posts in this topic

This quarter has a partially clipped planchet and is easily identified as a mint error while it still lives in the mint set cellophane packaging.  My concern is if removed from the packaging it may be mistaken for post mint damage.  If submitting for attribution is it allowable to submit in the wrapper to confirm authenticity?  I would fill out the authorization to remove paperwork of course.  After it's received and prepared for grading would my concerns about mistaken PMD be there again?  Just trying to figure out the best way to do it.  Maybe I'm overthinking it.

P1040267.JPG

Are you sure that is an error? I can't think of how that would happen during the striking of the coin. If it was an incomplete clip, it would be curved not straight plus there would be no damage on the rims. A straight clip would have to be right through the coin as that occurs when the blank is over the edge of the sheet when it is punched out.

I have seen numerous packaged sets with damaged coins in them so just because it is packaged doesn't mean that it is a mint error. Lots can happen to a coin from the time it leaves the striking chamber to when it goes and gets packaged.

Hope someone can prove me wrong but right now I would say it is PMD.

• Administrator

Hello and Thank you.

We would need to see this in hand to make an accurate determination.  Many of these are just damaged during packaging.

Thank you,

Lisa

Since the cuts go through the rim and lettering, it had to have happened after the coin was struck, otherwise the pressure of the dies, and the flow of metal, would have obliterated, or at least altered, some or all of the cut. That makes it post-mint damage, even if it happened while the coin was still inside the mint building.