• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It seems the US Mint's quality has taken a swan dive...

13 posts in this topic

So each year I order sets to break up an put in my albums, not a big deal really, in most cases the coins are exceptional quality and all is good.  This year because of the bonus penny offered with each set, I ordered an extra silver set (usually I order one since I have a complete set of silver proof sets in original packaging since they started in 1992, then I just buy the silver dime I need for the Dansco).  So they arrived today, 2 silver proof sets and a mint set.  Here's what I found:

1. The bonus pennies were all outside of their respective envelopes and in the bottom of the box (had trouble finding the last one as it was under the cardboard flap of the box and almost escaped).
  2. So I found all the appropriate pieces of my order, time to open the sets and start filling albums. Unfortunately, the cents in both silver proof sets were completely hazy (now I understand this can happen over time, but I really don't want the hazy cent on a brand new set!).
  3. Then I open the mint set, the Denver coins are fine, but then on the Philly page, the dime is missing.  Apparently it fell down in the packaging, but again, I don't want to open the set to find if my dime is damaged!  Imagine if I just wanted to have the set to display it, that would be awkward.

So bottom line I have to return everything in my order.  At least they are replacing it all for me and sending a return label, but I really just wish I could get what I ordered right the first time.  Is anyone else noting issues like this?

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

Loose coins, hazy coins, missing coins...Looks like it is time for them to relearn the meaning of "Quality Control." At least they are willing to make it right. Better luck on the next shipment.

I did the same as you jeff and ordered to silver sets this year to get the extra set of cents. In all my orders of proof, silver proof and Uncirc sets, all the W cents were rattling around in the boxes. I had to put them back in the envelopes. I guess what can you expect, if they had put a gum on the envelopes, then we would have to tear them open. They should have put these in the light cardboard envelopes with a slit to secure the top. 

Yeah, hearing that is bad.  It's a real shame that things at the US Mint have fallen so far in the area of quality control.  I just knew that the 2019-W Cents in the cellophane envelopes was a really bad idea.  But it's terrible that they can't even get a Mint Set right for you guys who order from them.  I agree, you shouldn't have to go through the hassle....they should get you a good product the first time.  And, with the 2019-W cents, they should have found a way to include them in the packaging of the product you order.  After all, they managed to do something pretty close to that with the 1996-W dime.  It was in its own sealed mylar, but at least it was sealed and protected rather than rattling around in your shipping box!

I thought a "swan dive" was supposed to be beautiful and graceful with almost no water entry splash.... :)

I think the cents were loose from the start as mine were also just rattling around with heavy proof and mint sets. My silver proof set should have had the reverse proof W cent but instead came with regular proof W cent. Again requested a return shipping label.

Just when I thought it couldn't possibly get any worse, yesterday I received a package from the Mint with 2 silver proof sets, no reverse proof cents, no uncirculated set and no uncirculated bonus cent. So I called, and the lady I spoke with said it was only a partial return according to them, even though I sent them everything back in the same box it came in as I was instructed, so now I had to fill out a certificate of non-receipt and e-mail that to them so they can review it over the next 4-6 weeks!  This has just become farcical and I have to say I've had just about enough of the mint, better to spend a few dollars extra and see a set before I buy it than to deal with this level of horrifying customer service!

2 minutes ago, jtryka said:

Just when I thought it couldn't possibly get any worse, yesterday I received a package from the Mint with 2 silver proof sets, no reverse proof cents, no uncirculated set and no uncirculated bonus cent. So I called, and the lady I spoke with said it was only a partial return according to them, even though I sent them everything back in the same box it came in as I was instructed, so now I had to fill out a certificate of non-receipt and e-mail that to them so they can review it over the next 4-6 weeks!  This has just become farcical and I have to say I've had just about enough of the mint, better to spend a few dollars extra and see a set before I buy it than to deal with this level of horrifying customer service!

Oh that's ridiculous!  They really have sunk to some new lows.  The last thing I ordered from them was my gold 2016-W Standing Liberty Quarter and I'm really glad that was the end of it with the stuff I'm hearing about them these days.  You're paying them good money, they should provide good products and good service for that......but they don't.  I'm glad I'm an Ancient guy now........the Imperial Roman mints are long gone, so they can't cause any issues ;)

Well, here is the latest.  Last week I received an alert that the US Mint issued a credit for $21.95 to my credit card account.  No letter, no e-mail, not communication regarding what was determined after I filed the missing items affidavit.  So today I called and a nice young lady informed me that they would be sending me the bonus proof cents for the silver proof set separately within 4-6 weeks, but that they had refunded the uncirculated set and that I would need to re-order that item.  So, the saga continues...

Guess my luck has been good in light of the stories here. I ordered a total of 4 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary silver coins, 2 five ouncer's and 2 one ouncer's from them back in March and all were packed well and arrived on time. Also, they all  look at least PR69 to me.

Very happy with the transaction.

66853086_2356685217756270_7027379602284609536_n.jpg

Edited by EleMint Man

This is truly never going to end.  So, I reordered two mint sets, and they arrived today and one of the boxes seemed suspiciously light, I open it up and sure enough, there is only a set of Denver coins and no Philadelphia coins.  I need to write a book about this and send it to the Mint Director...

On 6/22/2019 at 2:16 PM, jtryka said:

After returning my silver proof set with wrong W cent I then received another silver proof set with no W cent. Filed non receipt claim and now waiting on my W reverse proof cent. Customer service said 4 to 6 weeks and its been at least 6 weeks now so I guess I'll call again !

Edited by numisport
Wrong wording

I will post when my W reverse cent claim is solved. I see my order was placed on 6/24/19. Oh and yes this is how it was offered:

8_23_2019_10_14_38_PM.jpg

Edited by numisport
Wrong image