• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fraudulent Invoices

5 posts in this topic

It appears that SixBids, the on-line auction platform was hacked and the criminals are sending out false invoices.  This is reportedly happening in conjunction with the most recent Baldwins of St. James auction.

If you are going to use the SixBids platform In future I'd question them on their security. I say appears and reportedly above because of the possibility that the email sent out by Baldwins is fake. It's a shame when you cannot trust anything digital.

When they first flashed the warning along the top it wasn't obvious that it was their system that was hacked.  In fact, it's still not.  I'm guessing this means they have people's preferences, bookmarks, names, addresses etc.  I am very unhappy as it's not a stretch to think passwords too.  My password there is not totally unique (I use it at a couple auction places).  The only saving grace is I have no credit cards stored with anyone other than Heritage...and Heritage does have a different email AND password on file for me.  But ugh.  I mean, I did change a bunch recently but I get tired of that.  Seriously tired.

Thanks for the heads up that it's a more extensive breach.  Sigh.

Edited by Star City Homer

@Zebo 

And today I had to re-log into their 'new' website and create a new password (with all the normal IT requirements like 920 characters, letters, numbers, special characters, in the form of a haiku, etc--I exaggerate only slightly).  So, only my email, name, address, and phone number were on the account information.  Sigh.

On the plus side it looks like they are working on an archive.  That will be useful.

The archive feature will be nice. i never used their platform to bid, almost did a couple of times - but the St. James folks handled my bids for me. 

15 hours ago, Zebo said:

The archive feature will be nice. i never used their platform to bid, almost did a couple of times - but the St. James folks handled my bids for me. 

I don't use it to bid as often, mostly to find things.  Maybe 20-30% of the time.  It's great for figuring things out and certainly has expanded my usable footprint of auction houses.  And, considering some of the weirdo stuff I want to buy, that is very useful.