• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1996 silver eagle

12 posts in this topic

I will be posting more images but I'll start with this one. I have a 1996 silver eagle I got it for Christmas when I was a kid, and it sat in a drawer for over 10 years. It gained a lot of color from it. I think it's kind of unattractive. Do you think ngc conservation could improve it? It should I just leave it alone?

20190518_164739.jpg

At first glance I thought at least it's worth silver value. Apparently it's more valuable then melt. 

but even after conservation you may not get a MS70. Maybe an MS69 quite a price difference. 

I'm sure NCS can do something about it I just don't think it would be worth it unless you get that MS70. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/silver-eagles-1986-date-pscid-203/1996-eagle-s1-ms-coinid-710022

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123708471313

It appears there are multiple scratches on both the obverse (behind Liberty’s rear and under “trust”) and reverse (above the second “L” of “dollar”). If they are on the coin and not the holder, I sincerely doubt the coin would grade anywhere near a 69. That is not to say you couldn’t or shouldn’t grade it. Finically speaking it would be a waste of money. From a sentimental standpoint, it’s not a bad idea if it means enough to you but be aware that you will likely lose money if you ever decided to sell it. 

13 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

It appears there are multiple scratches on both the obverse (behind Liberty’s rear and under “trust”) and reverse (above the second “L” of “dollar”). If they are on the coin and not the holder, I sincerely doubt the coin would grade anywhere near a 69. That is not to say you couldn’t or shouldn’t grade it. Finically speaking it would be a waste of money. From a sentimental standpoint, it’s not a bad idea if it means enough to you but be aware that you will likely lose money if you ever decided to sell it. 

This was my thought,  as well.

If you want to conserve it and have it slabbed as a memento of you grandfather that is one thing, but other than that it wouldn't make fiscal sense to do it.  After shipping there and back, the grading fee, the conservation fee, invoice fee etc you would have close to $75 in the coin.  Frankly as a memento, I'd dip it, give it a really good rinse in distilled water, and then if you want it slabbed send it to ANACS.

Not weighing in on the grading discussion but while the toning may seem unattractive to some my first thought was that it resembled that "antiqued finish" that some of the non-governmental silver mints are putting out.  So, beauty in the eye of the beholder kinda thing.

17 hours ago, CrazyBirdMan said:

Do you really think it could be a 69? If so I might do it anyway my grandfather have it to me when I was young. I would love to conserve and slab it for my personal collection. 

69 to 70 grade isn’t much of a difference at all when grading ,if it has a Milk spot it will definitely get a 68 or 69 ... in fact I never send in bullion coins for grading such a waste of time they always come back a 69 ... I don’t even think graders even looked at the coins , just look at submissions forms say “yep, this guy a regular collector with a small account with us , and he sent a bunch silver eagles we will 69 them all with our eyes closed !” 🤣 

I looked at several 69s and 70s I could not tell difference but the 70s I did see behind them stood a happy dealer with high price tag motivated to sell,  they send in Bulk loads of coins lucky 4-5 come back a 70s

one guy I work with sent in a bunch of silver eagles to PCGS he just started collecting wish he would of told me instead of wasting his hard earned money on grading/slabbing fees 4 came back MS68 the rest were MS69s he was very disappointed 😔 to me 69 and 70 is nothing but a bunch of modern market hype Baloney! 

Edited by Jason Abshier