• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I could use everyone's expert opinion on his 2019 D.

12 posts in this topic

With the photo out of focus it is hard to say exactly what happened but I am

pretty sure it didn't happen during the striking of the coin so it is some form of PMD.

3 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

pretty sure it didn't happen during the striking of the coin so it is some form of PMD.

The penny was in roll with brand new 2019 Ds that had yet to be opened and citculated. Here is a better pic. 

CM190515-230703014.jpg

16 minutes ago, Disc Golfer said:

The penny was in roll with brand new 2019 Ds that had yet to be opened and citculated. Here is a better pic. 

CM190515-230703014.jpg

They are not rolled at the mint, though, so it could have been mangled by a counting, rollng, or some other type of machine.

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

1 hour ago, Travis Hale said:

I’m no expert, but it does remind me of my damaged Morgan I showed you....

66AB4A2B-0B87-4A87-A68D-639572405D52.jpeg

D41BF0A6-D702-4962-A2DE-FC1A6046C4EA.jpeg

34D66633-0DB8-41F4-8C7F-EB0E77C59418.jpeg

The wreath is what catches my eye. If you look closely at the penny it resembles a wreath. 

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

They are not rolled at the mint, though, so it could have been mangled by a counting, rollng, or some other type of machine.

That's my first thought in looking at it as well....both counting and rolling machines can really mangle coins that go through them.

Edited by Mohawk

16 hours ago, Mohawk said:

That's my first thought in looking at it as well....both counting and rolling machines can really mangle coins that go through them.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. If you could take a moment to look at the highlighted areas. At the top in the circle it just seems to strongly resemble a bow that is traditionally at the bottom of a coin joining a wreath of flowers or leaves. Also, the other two areas resemble a rose head and the other a olive branch or just some kind of leaves. And the same on the left side. It just seems being mangled would not do that. Absolutly I could be wrong but I always like to be very thorough.  Thanks again for your time.

20190519_105623.jpg

20190519_105528.jpg

13 minutes ago, Disc Golfer said:

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. If you could take a moment to look at the highlighted areas. At the top in the circle it just seems to strongly resemble a bow that is traditionally at the bottom of a coin joining a wreath of flowers or leaves. Also, the other two areas resemble a rose head and the other a olive branch or just some kind of leaves. And the same on the left side. It just seems being mangled would not do that. Absolutly I could be wrong but I always like to be very thorough.  Thanks again for your time.

20190519_105623.jpg

20190519_105528.jpg

Well...I looked and I have to be honest.....I do not see any of what you are describing, just a heavily damaged Lincoln cent.  When examining coins, it can be easy to let your imagination run wild.  Especially when you're new to coins.  It's understandable, you want to find something interesting, rare or valuable.  When examining coins, the best method is to try to rule out every single mundane cause for what you may be seeing on a coin.  You also need to think about if what you think you are seeing is possible.  In the case of what you are seeing in the damage on your cent, the elements you are seeing on the coin are impossible.  There is no way that I can think of that those elements would end up on a 2019 Lincoln Cent.  If you can rule out damage, machine doubling and the impossible as causes for what you are seeing, then you may have something.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, jgrinz said:

I will agree to disagree on this one … unless better ore acurate pictures are posted.

j

21 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Though I am ignoring the OP and enjoying it greatly, I think there's only one assessment to give to this whole situation and one last thing to say to him from me.  To the OP, for your many accomplishments here on the NGC boards:

image.png.2af5b6c40b7f80a7a6b29f883b13c88c.png

I know, old meme.  But so well earned and timeless.

I’m confused on what you are trying to tell me as your a winner?