• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2003 D Error? Need some direction

9 posts in this topic

I assume your referring to Abe's face.

Hard to tell as the picture is not very clear but I would say it looks like glue or some other

substance stuck to it. Try picking it off or soaking in acetone to see if you can remove it.

1 minute ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Looks like a "dryer coin" to me.

I'm with you Crawtomatic......I'm thinking dryer coin also.  It definitely has that look.

I am not familiar with the term Dryer Coin? its much smaller than a normal penny. Lighter and there is nothing on the coin at all. I will try to put some better pictures up. And i did post this in the newbie category. 

So Please explain the term. Thanks. And if its what I am thinking you're saying it is, Then wouldn't the entire outside of the coins be shiny?

3 minutes ago, Treasures Of Texas said:

I am not familiar with the term Dryer Coin? its much smaller than a normal penny. Lighter and there is nothing on the coin at all. I will try to put some better pictures up. And i did post this in the newbie category. 

So Please explain the term. Thanks. And if its what I am thinking you're saying it is, Then wouldn't the entire outside of the coins be shiny?

A dryer coin is a coin that has actually spent a long amount of time in a clothes dryer and has gone through numerous drying cycles to the point where the spinning in the dryer has worn the coin down considerably.  A lot of these come out of laundromats.  Dryer coins are often lighter than a non-dryer coin of the same type due to the metal loss from the wear the coin has experienced.  A dryer coin isn't always shiny, some are but others are not.  Your coin has all of the hallmarks of a dryer coin.

I hope this was of some help!
~Tom

A coin can get caught between the inner and outer drums of a dryer, and the rolling between them will wear the rim down, sometimes dramatically,  as in the picture below:(picture from Cointalk)

20130305_196X_Dryer_Roosie_1_OBV.jpg

Edited by Just Bob