• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver eagles

9 posts in this topic

Am I missing something? The redbook values them twice the amount as what they’re selling for. I’d like to buy some but don’t wanna over spend or buy something that’s not true....any advice?

Red book values are not always a true “current market value” the market fluctuations changes a coin’s value on weekly basic or monthly basic only way know is this is look at online auctions and sales you’ll get an idea where market and values are heading ... Red-book vaules are usually drawn up at end of the year it more of a “ball-park” figure what a coin can get on market however Coins are bought at good deals all time way below rebook values and nobody knows it, it between the buyer and seller to agree on the price for that specific coin alone . Silver eagles are a pretty common bullion coin prices are all over for them nothing is dead on redbook value however there are a few key dates in silver eagle series that calls for high prices 

I only look at red book when I’m looking up a series to find keydates or semi-keydates rarely do I even purchase a redbook anymore everything is online these days 

The better references I use for pricing is to go to the NGC references. Fairly good reference for past auctions but doesn't include eBay prices. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/

Supply and Demand. 

An ounce of silver goes for about $15. So if silver ever goes up to $50 an ounce... I doubt it...

Suggest only buying PCGS or NGC slabbed, NGC graded guarantees that they're genuine and quality of the coin. 

Here's a ebay selling a complete set of ms69 for $1325. 

$1325/34 coins = $38/coin

Suggest if you don't want to buy the complete set make sure you buy the coins below $38 each (+shipping) and then try to get that final hard to get ones later. 

Good luck. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333191180566

Edited by gtw-123

That's why you might get a better deal if you buy the whole set then have to pay shipping for each individual item. the prices may come down if price of silver comes down. And I'm not so sure those complete sets are truly complete. Good luck. 

17 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

Red book values are not always a true “current market value” the market fluctuations changes a coin’s value on weekly basic or monthly basic only way know is this is look at online auctions and sales you’ll get an idea where market and values are heading ... rely do I even purchase a redbook anymore everything is online these days 

I have never relied on Red Book or Blue Book for coin pricing, your best source are the CDN guides, they are updated constantly and reflect real world coin buying and selling prices.  You can use that as your basis to try and get a better deal for the Eagles you're seeking.

10 hours ago, Mokiechan said:

I have never relied on Red Book or Blue Book for coin pricing, your best source are the CDN guides, they are updated constantly and reflect real world coin buying and selling prices.  You can use that as your basis to try and get a better deal for the Eagles you're seeking.

Your spot on the CDN is the most current and best up to date pricing a good look at greysheet normally gives you idea of spread what a coin will sell at wholesale to a dealer that’s one thing that’s great about CDN . When folks ask me when it time to sell coins they inherit from a family member I always point them toward Greysheet give them idea of wholesale level what to expect that of coins were slabbed . If they weren’t slabbed I pointed them to get the collection appraised by 2 different dealers or a 3rd dealer if they don’t feel fully satisfied with appraisal values both retail and wholesale,then refer to greysheet see if they really want to sell to a dealer

Ignore the Redbook on any bullion item, prices are set a year to ayear and a half befor the date on the book and metal prices are volitile.  No way the fixed prices in the book can be accurate.  Look at recent sold items on ebay and that will tell you what the current market is.