• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Knob Ear Slanted 5's??

14 posts in this topic

Definitely Slant 5's - I do not think its a knob ear.

Even worn down like this, it should still leave 2 substantial hair strands behind the ear under the "Y"

The knob being the highpoints taking the heavy wear - The recessions of the hair strands should be there. 

Also the knob if there would be abutting the bottom of the "T" which there is a clear opening between the wear point and the "T"

In the early die stages there is little or no knob on the ear so it would not show on a worn coin.  However this is not N-9 the knob on ear variety, it is N-10.  There are only three slanted 5 varieties in 1855 N-9, N-10, and N-11.  N-11 is a proof only issue.  Key identifying feature for the three dies is the point of the curl over the 8.  On N-9 it is over the center of the 8, on N-10 it is just left of the inner curve of the 8, and on N-11 it is to the right of the inner curve.  On the OP coin it is to the left of the inner curve but is not close to the center of the 8.

Edited by Conder101

4 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

In the early die stages there is little or no knob on the ear so it would not show on a worn coin.  However this is not N-9 the knob on ear variety, it is N-10.  There are only three slanted 5 varieties in 1855 N-9, N-10, and N-11.  N-11 is a proof only issue.  Key identifying feature for the three dies is the point of the curl over the 8.  On N-9 it is over the center of the 8, on N-10 it is just left of the inner curve of the 8, and on N-11 it is to the right of the inner curve.  On the OP coin it is to the left of the inner curve but is not close to the center of the 8.

You are just an amazing wealth of knowledge my friend … 

50 minutes ago, Mason254 said:

Any clue on x across obverse?

Post mint damage - Maybe it was pirate treasure ( x marks the spot ) jk

1 hour ago, Mason254 said:

To uniform! Clearly not post mint?

Okay padawon - I will comment no further

To uniform! Clearly not post mint?

Please explain how you think this could have possibly happened during the striking of the coin.

It has clearly been intentionally scratched. PMD

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

On 5/15/2019 at 11:10 PM, Just Bob said:

I second that sentiment.

And I third it.  You never cease to amaze me with your attributions Conder.