• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old US Mint coins

7 posts in this topic

I bought some of my coins from my dad that he bought from the US Mint about 30 years ago I decided to go ahead and grade them anyway, some of them came back as proof 68. it's probably a good idea if you buy any mint coins get them graded as soon as you can. Having them just sit in the u.s. mint box may not be all that good for them. Not sure how these proof coins hold up in NGC holders. Get your us mint coins graded at the peak when they were issued from the mint. 

Edited by gtw-123

I agree with Mark! Specific proof coins that you are talking about would be better than advising people to grade all mint sets. 

9 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Many coins are not worth the cost of grading. Without knowing specifically, what coins you're talking about, we can't know whether your advice about getting them graded is sound.

Without question. Exception might be: to preserve for sentimental or presentation reasons, like a birth set or gift. Pretty costly though. Common moderns can be had on eBay or Great Collections for a lot less than the cost of slabbing to a civilian.

21 hours ago, gtw-123 said:

I bought some of my coins from my dad that he bought from the US Mint about 30 years ago

If we are talking about mint produced items from the 1980's, most of us are far better off following LINCOLNMAN's advice and simply buying those coins already slabbed.  If you just want to preserve Dad's actual coins, then by all means go forth and enjoy. 

For coins minted in the 1980's PR-68 is a rather high grade.  Today PR-69 and 70 are not unusual at all but that wasn't the case so much in the 80's.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:40 PM, Conder101 said:

For coins minted in the 1980's PR-68 is a rather high grade.  Today PR-69 and 70 are not unusual at all but that wasn't the case so much in the 80's.

That's very true Conder, especially for the cents.  But all of the coins from the 1980's have a similar threshold......PR-68 is a pretty good grade on some 1980's US proofs.  The packaging that the US Mint used for Proof Sets in that period are pretty bad for the coins, actually.  It doesn't preserve them well.  Off the bat, I immediately think of 1980, 1981 and 1982 sets.......you see a lot of hazy coins from those three years.  But the packaging is bad on the 1973-1979 and the 1984-1998 spans as well.  None of it preserves the coins well.

Edited by Mohawk