• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proofs????

51 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I'm so glad I have Mr. Hale on ignore now.........my boards experience has been improved immeasurably since I've done that.  I'd recommend that course of action to everyone on here.  

I do like to abuse myself every once and awhile :-)

1 hour ago, jgrinz said:

I do like to abuse myself every once and awhile :-)

You must, Mike, you must.  Responding to my huckleberry friend's posts is an experience that does offer that.

A 1961 cameo proof franklin (and not even a good cameo) not a reverse proof, not even anywhere close.  A reverse proof would have frosted fields and mirrored devices.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:51 PM, coinsandmedals said:

Alright everyone, the gig is up. He knows he found the only “reverse proof 1881 O Morgan” in existence. Congratulations Travis. I hope you enjoy your “unique” coin. I wonder why the mint waited until 2006 to release another reverse proof after they made this one in 1881.  :makepoint:

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on these boards. 

Hmmm......maybe I need to start looking for some reverse proof Faustina the Younger coins, Don.  After all, they've apparently been made for thousands of years........hm

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Hmmm......maybe I need to start looking for some reverse proof Faustina the Younger coins, Don.  After all, they've apparently been made for thousands of years........hm

Haha you mean don’t already have a few of them put away Tom? I’m sure your huckleberry friend would sell you one from his extensive collection of ultra rare coins. 

6 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Those were called 'foorps' (in Latin, forpus/i) and were struck mainly to give ancient Roman coin collectors something to talk about.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Those were called 'foorps' (in Latin, forpus/i) and were struck mainly to give ancient Roman coin collectors something to talk about.

I love it!!

On 5/18/2019 at 3:28 PM, Mohawk said:

Ok I get it guys. Ya need someone to bash. No prob I can handle it. But ya crossed the line with the polished coins. Forgot who said it but all I ever do is spit on it and clean it on my shirt. Nx time u cant read something on a coin stick it up ur sideways and lick it off. U'll be able to c it...now that we have finished high skoo how bout this 1929? Great condition hu. Thoughts plz

IMG_20190514_143311701_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190514_141829018_HDR.jpg

2 hours ago, kramden said:

Ok I get it guys. Ya need someone to bash. No prob I can handle it. But ya crossed the line with the polished coins. Forgot who said it but all I ever do is spit on it and clean it on my shirt. Nx time u cant read something on a coin stick it up ur sideways and lick it off. U'll be able to c it...now that we have finished high skoo how bout this 1929? Great condition hu. Thoughts plz

IMG_20190514_143311701_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190514_141829018_HDR.jpg

I meant nothing toward you with that Kramden.  That was all about Mr. Hale, not you one bit.

2 hours ago, kramden said:

You should go back and re-read the thread. There were only two responses to your original post: one by Conder101, and one more further down by jgrinz. Every other post in this thread was either by Travis Hale, or directed toward something he wrote. Since I was one of those posters, let me first apologize for taking part in the hijacking of your thread, but let me also say that I really don't appreciate being told to stick anything anywhere, sideways or otherwise. That comment was very "high school."

AS for your '29 Lincoln, I would call it VG. That one would be fun to find in circulation.

14 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

You should go back and re-read the thread. There were only two responses to your original post: one by Conder101, and one more further down by jgrinz. Every other post in this thread was either by Travis Hale, or directed toward something he wrote. Since I was one of those posters, let me first apologize for taking part in the hijacking of your thread, but let me also say that I really don't appreciate being told to stick anything anywhere, sideways or otherwise. That comment was very "high school."

AS for your '29 Lincoln, I would call it VG. That one would be fun to find in circulation.

Well said, Bob.  Well said indeed. 

42 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I'm noticing a real problem that is sadly starting to emerge on the boards here as of late.  We seem to be attracting some pretty rude newbies who know very little about coins that simply expect us to tell them that their polished and damaged coins are rare errors and branch mint proofs and their mundane, common coins with no trace of a doubled die are doubled dies.  When we answer these people with the truth about their coins, they get very rude, offensive and strange.  They also keep posting more and more of this garbage on the boards and I think it's beginning to wear on those of us on here who try to help newbies and maybe we haven't posted the best responses at times.  I know I've been guilty of one instance of that with the 1958 and 1969-S "doubled die" cent guy.  We're all human and all of us have a point where we just get fed up with it.  I know I have myself.  Sadly, since these people (of which there appears to be about three major ones right now) tend to hijack threads, I think some of the newbies with real questions who genuinely desire to learn are getting caught in the cross fire.  I am unsure of what to do about this problem, but it's getting bad and I feel it's starting to impact the quality of the boards and the experience that many users are having here.  It's sad to see.  I know I try to help people here as much as I can, though lately I'm considering taking a break from here because of a few users and just being tired of them with the hopes that maybe these people will find a new place to peddle their garbage.

I don't know if there's anything NGC can do about these problem members, but I would suggest if they can take action about them, they do so.  I'd say that a couple of them, and I think we all know who they are, are really starting to become trolls.   

A thousand pardons to the pep I offended, except one and u no who u r. To suggest I polish my coins is against all ethics in the coin bz. Thats the # 1 rule I learned while hunting coins. Never clean em. I just spit on em and wipe em down. That's it. So u went way to far in accusing me of that. That's y I said what I said. Again sorry to the ones I offended. Ok r these coins collectables? Is the top one even realIMG_20190527_154145895_HDR.jpg.05e9c30468bc0a11d2fe6107917cc0df.jpg

IMG_20190527_154226711.jpg

IMG_20190527_160329940_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190527_160355400_HDR.jpg

I think this would be better on its own instead of  hijacking this thread. This has nothing to do with the original posting.

That being said, I don't know what the first two pictures are but the second two are of a ordinary well circulated 1932 Canadian Cent.

On 5/22/2019 at 12:20 PM, Mohawk said:

I don't know if there's anything NGC can do about these problem members, but I would suggest if they can take action about them, they do so.  I'd say that a couple of them, and I think we all know who they are, are really starting to become trolls.   

Trolls starve to death if not fed. If people keep feeding trolls and legitimizing them, they keep trolling.

I decided some time ago that once someone crossed a line--trolling being one of those lines--I had better things to do than talk to them. For example, to help people who could actually benefit from the input. That's why I don't tell them when they've burned the bridge. I just make a mental note and go help someone helpable instead. That way, I do not reward crass behavior.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

Trolls starve to death if not fed. If people keep feeding trolls and legitimizing them, they keep trolling.

I decided some time ago that once someone crossed a line--trolling being one of those lines--I had better things to do than talk to them. For example, to help people who could actually benefit from the input. That's why I don't tell them when they've burned the bridge. I just make a mental note and go help someone helpable instead. That way, I do not reward crass behavior.

That's a good plan, Jonathan.  I think I'm going to follow your course going forward.  It sounds like the recipe for success in participating in the NGC boards and other online venues. 

4 hours ago, kramden said:

A thousand pardons to the pep I offended, except one and u no who u r. To suggest I polish my coins is against all ethics in the coin bz. Thats the # 1 rule I learned while hunting coins. Never clean em. I just spit on em and wipe em down. That's it. So u went way to far in accusing me of that. That's y I said what I said. Again sorry to the ones I offended. Ok r these coins collectables? Is the top one even real

Again, I would suggest that you go back and read the thread from the beginning. Not one single poster suggested that you polished your coins. After Travis Hale put up the picture of his polished New Orleans mint Morgan, every single post was about his coin, except for this one mention of your coins by jgrinz - and I quote: " Kramden's - Your coins are business strikes some look quite nice"

No one was unethical towards you or accused you of anything.  In fact, jgrinz complimented your coins.

I believe the top coin is a copy of a Marcus Antonius denarius. I don't think it is real, but I am not much of an ancients guy.

Edited by Just Bob