• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proofs????

51 posts in this topic

Interesting read but nowhere does it say that there were 1881O Branch Mint Proofs minted.

The only "O" Branch Mint proofs were in 1879 & 1883 with very few of each produced.

Here is a partial article on Branch Mint Proofs  from NGC

1879-O Morgan Dollar. These were struck to mark the first of the denomination from the New Orleans Mint. Four or five examples are known, with one in the National Collection at the Smithsonian. A choice Proof example sold at auction in 2010 for nearly $200,000.

1883-O Morgan Dollar. Two or three examples of this date and mint are known to exist. NGC has certified two examples. The reason for the issue is unknown. A superb example sold for $121,000 in 1997.1879 and 1883

Also a Proof has polished fields with frosted devices which yours does not.

Kramden's - Your coins are business strikes some look quite nice 

@Travis Hale I have nothing to offer you for hjacking another persons thread again showing off your beautifully

cleaned and polished NON PROOF coins.

Edited by jgrinz

Just assumed you knew the history on proof & reverse proof, the turmoil of the south & many times they printed proofs for special occasions, usually 12 at a time, but during the confusion of 1881, they were producing most of all minted coins due to silver issues & Philadelphia dropped off. They printed the most & I made sure all this is on the internet for you to research. I have books with all the corruption going on. Also, believe it or not, with other countries... most all the gold proofs came from their during this time, why not silver guys... always read, always study... 

1 hour ago, Travis Hale said:

Reverse proof...

Alright everyone, the gig is up. He knows he found the only “reverse proof 1881 O Morgan” in existence. Congratulations Travis. I hope you enjoy your “unique” coin. I wonder why the mint waited until 2006 to release another reverse proof after they made this one in 1881.  :makepoint:

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on these boards. 

19 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

...during the confusion of 1881, they were producing most of all minted coins due to silver issues & Philadelphia dropped off. They printed the most...

This is completely untrue. Since you referred to the South, I assume you were talking about New Orleans, since Dahlonega and Charlotte did not mint any coins in 1881. New Orleans did not mint more of any denomination that year than Philadelphia, including Morgans.  Only San Fransisco minted more dollars than Philadelphia, and it is not in the south. Philadelphia minted ALL of the 1c, 3c, 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c, T$, and gold $1, $2 1/2,  and $3. To state that any other mint produced more than Philadelphia that year is simply false.

Proofs have been made for 1000s of years starting with the Chinese & into every ountry since. You’re reading is narrow. Most of the boys that worked the New Orleans mint came from France. We bought it from them if you remember history.  Their coins are some of the best of that time. They knew how to make gold proofs, silver proofs & yes reverse proofs. History has thousands of examples of this. Don’t pridefully believe the American Mint is the first to ever do any of this. Plus your numbers from their site is even off. I have reverse proof coins Benjamin half dollars & they were considering doing more in 1940’s. But, if you had money or power, you could get anything such as Victorian proofs, faberge proofs I witnessed in the museum myself. The Chinese have done it for thousands of years & were held to strick standards. If you know how to mint, you’ll always want that perfect copy made & it’s just human nature. You can’t limit your mind in a box. To do so is to stop learning or purposely push a new agenda...

7 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

I have reverse proof coins Benjamin half dollars & they were considering doing more in 1940’s.

Please post pictures of your reverse proof Benjamin Franklin half dollars.

8 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

Proofs have been made for 1000s of years starting with the Chinese & into every ountry since. You’re reading is narrow. Most of the boys that worked the New Orleans mint came from France. We bought it from them if you remember history.  Their coins are some of the best of that time. They knew how to make gold proofs, silver proofs & yes reverse proofs. History has thousands of examples of this. Don’t pridefully believe the American Mint is the first to ever do any of this. Plus your numbers from their site is even off. I have reverse proof coins Benjamin half dollars & they were considering doing more in 1940’s. But, if you had money or power, you could get anything such as Victorian proofs, faberge proofs I witnessed in the museum myself. The Chinese have done it for thousands of years & were held to strick standards. If you know how to mint, you’ll always want that perfect copy made & it’s just human nature. You can’t limit your mind in a box. To do so is to stop learning or purposely push a new agenda...

** Ignorance is Bliss **

I will always have ignorance of some kind, but I study as if I’ll never reach fully knowing. Famously put, when I say I know it all I stop learning.... good day gentlemen 

1 hour ago, Travis Hale said:

This one was online, but mine are the same... 

AED13AE1-9923-441B-8F26-268A9518B5E1.jpeg

15 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

I have reverse proof coins Benjamin half dollars & they were considering doing more in 1940’s. 

You need to go back and look at the difference between proof and reverse proof. Like many other things, you are completely wrong. It appears all of your "research" is doing you absolutely no good. Ignorance is putting it lightly and in politically correct terms.

8 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Please post pictures of your reverse proof Benjamin Franklin half dollars.

2 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

This one was online, but mine are the same... 

AED13AE1-9923-441B-8F26-268A9518B5E1.jpeg

Just read about it. Do some research yourself & you’ll find a woman in the 40’s tried to get them passed but it didn’t work...

You really need help Travis … Your lack of knowledge of coins is beyond me.

That is a 61 proof cameo and I am sure you have nothing like it, as you do not have the knowledge to decipher what a proof is.

J

Edited by jgrinz

On 5/16/2019 at 8:51 AM, jgrinz said:

** Ignorance is Bliss **

I'm so glad I have Mr. Hale on ignore now.........my boards experience has been improved immeasurably since I've done that.  I'd recommend that course of action to everyone on here.  

Edited by Mohawk