• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie question on Registry Pictures

7 posts in this topic

I'm new to NGC (1 month) and new to coin collecting (7 months). Is there a problem with posting up the pictures of the coin with the certificate number up on the regisrty? I see the top registries sometimes don't post pictures at all even though they are the Top in the Category. 

3 hours ago, CoinNut4396 said:

the pictures of the coin with the certificate number up on the regisrty?

Do you mean the pictures that show up when you do the certification number verification? I think they let you use those in the registry - I'm pretty sure plenty of people do.

As far as why there are people that have #1 ranked sets that don't post pictures? Even if you're just taking the pictures that NGC makes for the verification feature, adding pictures to the set does require some effort. I think some people just aren't willing / aren't interested in expending even that much effort. They're #1; They can see the coins / look at them. That's what they care about.

If you look around there are modern sets with more than 1 #1, and there are often sets that would be tied for #1 if they had pictures and descriptions... but they don't add them and so they aren't ranked #1. Why? Because it's not important enough to them to do it. You just have to conclude that they just don't care about winning / not winning, and that's their call. Not everyone is here for the same reasons / gets the same stuff out of this place.

Hope you have fun here. :)

I thought maybe there was a security reason for not doing so.  Counterfeiter might duplicate your number. Someone might use it on eBay to scam someone. If it's not an issue I'll continue to post up my photos.

There is no issue with putting the cert number on your pics if you want to, I usually do not with my pics but that is just my personal choice.  You will see many sets in the registry without any pics and even some sets which cannot be seen at all.  Some folks are very nervous and just don't want anyone to know or see the actual coins and or cert numbers. 

20 hours ago, CoinNut4396 said:

I'm new to NGC (1 month) and new to coin collecting (7 months). Is there a problem with posting up the pictures of the coin with the certificate number up on the regisrty? I see the top registries sometimes don't post pictures at all even though they are the Top in the Category. 

Welcome to coin collecting, hope you have fun and enjoy participating on this forum. :)

Bobby

Edited by bigmarty 58

• Administrator

Hello and welcome, CoinNut4396! 

If you need assistance uploading photos or have other questions or comments about the NGC Registry, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at registry@ngccoin.com. Thank you.

Personally I try and add my own photos because then there is more coin and less slab.  That said, I have several with slab photos too.  I haven't gotten around to having the NGC photos added to all the coins, and not all the NGC coins have photos.  I also haven't photo'd all my coins yet...too many so that is part of my upcoming retirement project.  Eventually.