• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Releasing certification number for news purchased coins

15 posts in this topic

I purchased a few coins which have not been added to my set because the previous owner did not remove them from his registry. How can I get the released faster? Can I send a photo to the sales to get them released faster?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, CoinNut4396 said:

I purchased a few coins which have not been added to my set because the previous owner did not remove them from his registry. How can I get the released faster? Can I send a photo to the sales to get them released faster?

Good day and thank you for the inquiry.

There is normally a 72-hour wait time when someone new claims a coin to be his. Automated emails are sent to the previous owner and to the person claiming to be the new owner. After the 72-hour time period, if the previous owner does not contest ownership of the coin, the coin is automatically transferred to the new owner.  If the previous owner does contest the transfer of the coin, then we proceed from there. Thank you.

Please let us know when we may assist with the NGC Registry in the future. You may reach us best at registry@ngccoin.com.

If the previous owner / person who claims it responds to the email it might be less than the 72 hours Ali mentioned. 

I've known other society members that use stuff like this as a form of delivery confirmation / double confirmation and an acceptance criteria. If the person tries to register the coin, they obviously saw the label and got the coin in hand. One person years ago said that, if the person tried to add the coin to their registry, they'd take that as the person saying that the buyer was happy with it / accepted the coin and they wouldn't accept returns after that.

It's funny, but if you're here long enough and you listen you'll find that people here use this place in all sorts of novel and interesting ways.

Just a thought anyway.

Since you're new: "Welcome to the boards." If you're new to the registry, welcome again. Hopefully you'll like it and stick around. :)

I once bought a Canadian Silver Dollar and tried to register it, the person who had registered the coin earlier then confronted me because he had actually ordered the coin, from a dealer, a couple of years earlier and it had never arrived at his home (he suspected theft)..  He did receive a refund from the original seller but he kept the coin, which he never actually physically possessed, in the registry just waiting for that GOTCHA moment.  Well given the time since the coin went originally missing, and given the fact I bought it from a legitimate dealer, it was quickly resolved in my favor. IMHO, if he wanted to keep the coin in his registry for a month or two, just on the very rare chance the thief would attempt to register it, then OK, but to keep it for 2 plus years?  Ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, Mokiechan said:

I once bought a Canadian Silver Dollar and tried to register it, the person who had registered the coin earlier then confronted me because he had actually ordered the coin, from a dealer, a couple of years earlier and it had never arrived at his home (he suspected theft)..  He did receive a refund from the original seller but he kept the coin, which he never actually physically possessed, in the registry just waiting for that GOTCHA moment.  Well given the time since the coin went originally missing, and given the fact I bought it from a legitimate dealer, it was quickly resolved in my favor. IMHO, if he wanted to keep the coin in his registry for a month or two, just on the very rare chance the thief would attempt to register it, then OK, but to keep it for 2 plus years?  Ridiculous.

Huh. Now that is an interesting one. If he never had the coin in his possession and it was refunded I'm not even sure he could call that theft or be confident that it was stolen. Unless the dealer had given him a tracking number and they could confirm that it "went missing" in transit then I'd more likely suspect that the seller decided they didn't want to let the coin go at that price, pretended it was lost, and returned the money - the seller backed out on the deal. That's what I'd suspect in that situation anyway.

But once he was refunded / compensated for it, it wasn't his coin / property to claim anymore. If it was stolen and recovered it would be the property of the dealer at that point. Like you, I could have seen keeping in registered for a while just to see if you could catch the dealer pulling a fast one but... This is actually one of the reasons I don't like registering things until they physically reach my door, even if I know the cert#. I'm always afraid it'll get lost in the mail and then I'll have to deregister it … and that's just sad times.

Edited by Revenant

And I do it the other way.  Once I've paid for it and it ships (which avoids the 'seller's remorse/error/whatever), I add it in.  That way if it's lost in transit I have that little tickler, plus an easy way to recall the cert #.  I do wait until shipping for the most part. If I were to get a refund then I don't consider it 'mine' anymore and would delete.  That would be painful now that you mention it.  

Edited to add:  for the OP-- I have been on both ends of that, forgetting to delete a coin I'd sold from either a set or from the Coin Manager (especially the latter as I don't use that regularly so if a coin isn't in a set I might forget).  Fortunately it's a quick and smooth process.  Welcome to the message boards!  

Edited by Star City Homer

Here's another interesting twist, I had been an active member 2010-2011 timeframe but then left and pulled most of my coins out of the registry.  For some reason, maybe forgetfullness, maybe a thought I would return shortly, I left my proof Sacagawea dollars in their set.  When I returned, I still had all the original Sacs plus the new ones since 2011, when I placed them back in the registry, the 2000-2011 came back as already registered and the "owner" was going to be contacted.  Well I was the owner.  So I let the 72 hours pass, and the coins successfully transferred.   BTW, the reason I did not approve the transfer immediately is because the notice probably went to my old defunct work email address.  

Edited by Mokiechan
typo

17 hours ago, Revenant said:

Huh. Now that is an interesting one. If he never had the coin in his possession and it was refunded I'm not even sure he could call that theft or be confident that it was stolen. Unless the dealer had given him a tracking number and they could confirm that it "went missing" in transit then I'd more likely suspect that the seller decided they didn't want to let the coin go at that price, pretended it was lost, and returned the money - the seller backed out on the deal. That's what I'd suspect in that situation anyway.

But once he was refunded / compensated for it, it wasn't his coin / property to claim anymore. If it was stolen and recovered it would be the property of the dealer at that point. Like you, I could have seen keeping in registered for a while just to see if you could catch the dealer pulling a fast one but... This is actually one of the reasons I don't like registering things until they physically reach my door, even if I know the cert#. I'm always afraid it'll get lost in the mail and then I'll have to deregister it … and that's just sad times.

Forgot to add, the "owner" actually wrote a kind of scathing post to the NGC community about my alleged malfeasance, although he did not actually name me "The Beaw's Den".  But it was obvious from what he wrote that it was directed at me.  I wrote an equally scathing post in response which basically called him out for being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

LOL, I purposely added an insult that would generate "insufficiently_thoughtful_person", just to amuse myself.

Edited by Mokiechan

47 minutes ago, Mokiechan said:

BTW, the reason I did not approve the transfer immediately is because the notice probably went to my old defunct work email address.  

And I'm sure stuff like that is one of the reasons they have the 72 hour rule. It's a reasonable time-frame for someone to respond within most of the time while it also doesn't keep the "new owner" waiting for a interminable period. I can see some circumstances where someone might not be able to respond within that time frame - like those times when I've gone on cruises and had no internet access for a 4-5 day period, but for most of us those are fairly rare events. I guess even if you missed the chance to transfer it you could always try to register it back and start the process to contest ownership from there. Interesting stuff to think about.

8 minutes ago, CoinNut4396 said:

Day 5 later  ... I guessing I have to email the above address to get this resolved

Sorry to hear that. From your prior post I'd thought they released it to you.

• Administrator
On 5/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, CoinNut4396 said:

Day 5 later  ... I guessing I have to email the above address to get this resolved

Hello, CoinNut4396.

As of your Wednesday afternoon post, it looked like your transfer had perhaps been processed. if you still need assistance, we are happy to help. Please send us your certification number to registry@ngccoin.com. Thank you.

I must be doing something wrong then. No coins have been added to my Registry. I have 10 coins waiting to be added. I was assuming they would just show up in the coin Registry after 72 hrs. I tried adding them again yesterday and still says coins are registered to someone else. It's now approaching a full 7 days on the first few coins.

I must be doing something wrong then. No coins have been added to my Registry. I have 10 coins waiting to be added. I was assuming they would just show up in the coin Registry after 72 hrs. I tried adding them again yesterday and still says coins are registered to someone else. It's now approaching a full 7 days on the first few coins.

Hello CoinNut4396, 

I do see 4 coins waiting for transfer to you beginning on Saturday May 11th.  On May 12th, there are 2 more and 3 more as of today (total of 9 coins).  Please wait the 72 hours from the date of the transfer request. If you need further assistance, please email registry@ngccoin.com.  Thank you.