• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone trying hard to mimic an NGC slab.

8 posts in this topic

I've been looking at this discount shopping thing called "Wish" lately. It's full of fake coins being sold as "magic props" and other such nonsense. Morgan and Peace dollar fakes for $1 each - no stamp or anything to indicate they're fakes, obvious attempts to give them the appearance of age. You get the idea. Some of these things are selling by the 10s of thousands. Fake one ounce gold bars too. It's crazy.

Anyway... I found this thing today. The coin is a fake obviously but the slab got my attention - the sticker too. The style clearly trying to mimic NGC. It doesn't say NGC - it says PCCB - but the style of that holographic sticker is too close to NGC to be an accident and PCCB is probably an attempt to muddy the waters for the ignorant with PCGS.

I think my mother buys things off this site. I could have seen some use in it for some things... but all of this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

59357244_283685465909959_7599423216947298304_n.png

Yeah....that's not good.  These people are clearly hoping to prey on newbies and others who don't have a lot of knowledge about coins.  It looks like Etsy has some competition in the market for fake slabs and fake coins.  That's just wonderful>:(.  We need another Etsy like we need an outbreak of bubonic plague.  Something else to boycott.

Edited by Mohawk

Agreed.  I should've mentioned this a few weeks ago.  My dad's been using "Wish" like it's going out of style for at least half a year now.  About a month or so ago he asked me to look at some Morgan's he got from there.  Obvious fakes, 1 was decently made though and interesting to examine up close, weight off on all of them which even my 8 year old son picked up on without prompting, stippling that resembles struck through fabric results but only on the devices and not the fields (very odd).  Anyhow, my dad knew they were fakes because they were $2 bucks apiece but others out there may not be so lucky.

It was actually a really proud dad moment since I was examining them closely late at night trying to determine the method of manufacture and left them sitting out on my desk.  Come out in the morning and my son's at my desk and goes, "Dad, I think these are fake.  I weighed them and then weighed mine and they're all 3 grams lighter."  :smile:

In fairness it did say "style" and "gold plated", but I can see how that kind of listing will fool the uninformed. But if you are hoping to score a deal by paying $4 each for an actual gold coin, then what can you say?

Everything on WISH is counterfeit.  While they claim to be located in the US, the addrss is just a server farm where everything is redirected to China.

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Everything on WISH is counterfeit.  While they claim to be located in the US, the addrss is just a server farm where everything is redirected to China.

I didn't know for sure but it certainly looked that way.

5 hours ago, ilLOminatus said:

But if you are hoping to score a deal by paying $4 each for an actual gold coin, then what can you say?

I agree 100% - same thing for $1 bust dollars or trade dollars, ar anything silver. The bigger problem to my mind are 1) the people too ignorant to know what it should cost. 2) the people who get given this later and have no clue what it is.

10 hours ago, Revenant said:

I agree 100% - same thing for $1 bust dollars or trade dollars, ar anything silver. The bigger problem to my mind are 1) the people too ignorant to know what it should cost. 2) the people who get given this later and have no clue what it is.

The second buyers will be the big losers. Flea market newbies and the like.