• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting sandbagged by grading companies

17 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Petena64 said:
26 minutes ago, Petena64 said:

The grading companies under grade  individuals coins and over grade the stuff I see on T.V I have bought things from individuals that they bought off TV and I have things that I have sent in for grade that look better then there’s by 2 or 3 grades higher. If these Large grading companies think I am going to sell my undervalued coins because  of there low scores so the fat cat can buy my coin for cheap then resubmit it and get a higher grade.  It’s time for a new grading company to Step in and offer fair and honest grading for everyone’s coins. Does anybody out there know of a new up and coming grading company.

The grading companies under grade  individuals coins and over grade the stuff I see on T.V I have bought things from individuals that they bought off TV and I have things that I have sent in for grade that look better then there’s by 2 or 3 grades higher. If these Large grading companies think I am going to sell my undervalued coins because  of there low scores so the fat cat can buy my coin for cheap then resubmit it and get a higher grade.  It’s time for a new grading company to Step in and offer fair and honest grading for everyone’s coins. Does anybody out there know of a new up and coming grading company’s?

58CBED7C-A62B-43C3-9E8B-FFA505C578A4.jpeg

06F27190-7456-45C9-A2F8-2372E77F9EC8.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Petena64 said:

The grading companies under grade  individuals coins and over grade the stuff I see on T.V I have bought things from individuals that they bought off TV and I have things that I have sent in for grade that look better then there’s by 2 or 3 grades higher. If these Large grading companies think I am going to sell my undervalued coins because  of there low scores so the fat cat can buy my coin for cheap then resubmit it and get a higher grade.  It’s time for a new grading company to Step in and offer fair and honest grading for everyone’s coins. Does anybody out there know of a new up and coming grading company.

1 minute ago, Petena64 said:

58CBED7C-A62B-43C3-9E8B-FFA505C578A4.jpeg

06F27190-7456-45C9-A2F8-2372E77F9EC8.jpeg

What does the reverse look like, could that have prevented it?

I sent in some stuff to the other guys and at least 3/20 were under. The biggest issue IMO is the inconsistency. If they are tightening the standards back to what they were 20 yrs ago which seems to be the case, then some coins from 5 yrs ago are valued at multiples of a better coin because the better coin was graded in 2019 or 1999. Buy the coin, not the holder, right? Isn't the holder supposed to be so that those who aren't good at grading can rely on the experts? 

This is a $12,000 coin based on TPG 

936352243_1919Dpcgsms66.thumb.jpg.328e98ee3bf154fb6dc261ab502dfa99.jpg

This is my $200 coin based on the same TPG. It is not nearly as dark as the photos, almost pure red. There are clash marks and die cracks but where are the nicks or hits? 1919-d-obresized.thumb.jpg.97895fefc25e12b62f8aeb15e54528f1.jpg1919-d-reresized.thumb.jpg.098243bd6415edbc9ca837a9a35585c3.jpg

1 hour ago, Edthelorax said:

I sent in some stuff to the other guys and at least 3/20 were under. The biggest issue IMO is the inconsistency. If they are tightening the standards back to what they were 20 yrs ago which seems to be the case, then some coins from 5 yrs ago are valued at multiples of a better coin because the better coin was graded in 2019 or 1999. Buy the coin, not the holder, right? Isn't the holder supposed to be so that those who aren't good at grading can rely on the experts? 

This is my $200 coin based on the same TPG. It is not nearly as dark as the photos, almost pure red. There are clash marks and die cracks but where are the nicks or hits? 1919-d-obresized.thumb.jpg.97895fefc25e12b62f8aeb15e54528f1.jpg1919-d-reresized.thumb.jpg.098243bd6415edbc9ca837a9a35585c3.jpg

Exactly my point And I’m a easy going guy and when I’m wrong I will admit when I’m wrong but some of these coins have come back so inconsistent it’s unbelievable Here is an image of the reverse 

Edited by TON Collection
Wrong pic

1 hour ago, Edthelorax said:

1 minute ago, TON Collection said:

Exactly my point And I’m a easy going guy and when I’m wrong I will admit when I’m wrong but some of these coins have come back so inconsistent it’s unbelievable Here is an image of the reverse 

Impossible to tell grade by those pictures, that being said it should have been a "+" grade or a "PL" 

grade but other than that better pictures would be needed for me to help.

1 hour ago, TON Collection said:

Interesting DIE Cracks on the reverse of that penny … 

18 hours ago, Petena64 said:

I was seriously thinking about situation with the west point quarters and how the "fat cats" as you say are the ones doing great buying $50k treasury bags...your post, another situation in coins where money..if you have alot of it...keeps you ahead in the game....these are the same people who held pennies from the Early 80's in huge crates until the 2000's, they knew certain what to take and dumped the rest to us. 

As far as a new company....total power corrupts.....peace

On 5/5/2019 at 7:03 AM, Edthelorax said:

It's always nice to find someone to agree with posts like this, so I get the point of it.  Regarding your penny, I assume nicks you don't see overshadow the cheek bone rubs that are there? Also look at the beard hair in front of the ear, your coin has quite a bit less.  I understand your point though, I am about to receive a group of coins back from NGC that a few pieces faired worse than my hopes.

The TPGs are blinded to the individual's submitting coins and I think we sometimes lose sight of the the of amount of low grade trash they pay to get graded in the cash for the few gems.  

Edited by Davids5104

26 minutes ago, Davids5104 said:

It's always nice to find someone to agree with posts like this, so I get the point of it.  Regarding your penny, I assume nicks you don't see overshadow the cheek bone rubs that are there? 

The TPGs are blinded to the individual's submitting coins and I think we sometimes lose sight of the the of amount of low grade trash they pay to get graded in the cash for the few gems.  

I pulled it out and looked at it closely, it doesn't look like rub on the cheek, just toning that shows more due to lighting angles. If it is album rub from long ago, it isn't as much as is on this PCGS MS66RB. And it sure doesn't have a huge scratch on the reverse like this one.

1919DPCGSMS66RB.jpg

On 5/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, Davids5104 said:

It's always nice to find someone to agree with posts like this, so I get the point of it.  Regarding your penny, I assume nicks you don't see overshadow the cheek bone rubs that are there? Also look at the beard hair in front of the ear, your coin has quite a bit less.  I understand your point though, I am about to receive a group of coins back from NGC that a few pieces faired worse than my hopes.

I get a kick out of this buffalo only bring worth 40. Lol I still love it

image.jpg

On 5/4/2019 at 11:24 PM, Petena64 said:

It’s time for a new grading company to Step in and offer fair and honest grading for everyone’s coins. Does anybody out there know of a new up and coming grading company.

Why? So you can complain about them on a chat board that they host in about 5-10 years?

Maybe that's harsh, but... seriously. Grading has some subjectivity and always will. The risk of drift is always going to be there. Changing companies doesn't really fix anything about the problem you're complaining about.

Edited by Revenant

New grading company ? They come and go down so fast ... PCGS and NGC are top leaders too hard for a little league grading company to compete with them ... I’m surprised ANACS been hanging on all these years I seen many ANACS coins to be graded fairly especially they older style ANACS white insert holders...

problem with PCGS and NGC they are market grading on today standards, I asked a dealer once how he get MS70s and PF70s grades he said he has send in Bulk loads of coins he’s lucky if 5 of them “modern” coins come back MS70 or PF70.