• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ngc process

16 posts in this topic

How long does it take to go threw the hole process to be graded I sent a set of coins threw an authorized dealer and they told me it would take up to 8 weeks to get it back I just feel something ain't right this is the first time I ever sent my coins off to be graded 

That is potentially a reasonable assessment depending on what you had done.  If they were just simply graded that is in most cases too long, but if they were conserved and sent economy it is probably ok.  you can always ask for submission form numbers he used and call NGC

Thank u davids5104! I'm not sure how they sent it it was a 1967 sms dcam set not one mark or scratch they never been touched before the lady took them out the case to send off the hole set they look so perfect I have other stuff I want to send in but I'm so worried ima get screwed over so I was waiting to see what happens to this set in my 1967 sms set the nickel has all the steps so clear all 5 coins look amazing and I have not seen any 1967 sms all coins that are graded in 70 the authorize dealer told me it would be about $50 a coin to get graded 5 coins $250 is what they said it would cost and they can only guarantee $10,000 total for all 5 if something happens to them all she gave me was a pink invoice I had to tell her don't you think we need to take pictures how can i prove these are my coins n no swap out I took pictures at home and there in front her and she gave me a pink carbon paper said they will take around 8 weeks to come back i read 5 days then 2 weeks 

9 hours ago, Mamee said:

Thank u davids5104! I'm not sure how they sent it it was a 1967 sms dcam set not one mark or scratch they never been touched before the lady took them out the case to send off the hole set they look so perfect I have other stuff I want to send in but I'm so worried ima get screwed over so I was waiting to see what happens to this set in my 1967 sms set the nickel has all the steps so clear all 5 coins look amazing and I have not seen any 1967 sms all coins that are graded in 70 the authorize dealer told me it would be about $50 a coin to get graded 5 coins $250 is what they said it would cost and they can only guarantee $10,000 total for all 5 if something happens to them all she gave me was a pink invoice I had to tell her don't you think we need to take pictures how can i prove these are my coins n no swap out I took pictures at home and there in front her and she gave me a pink carbon paper said they will take around 8 weeks to come back i read 5 days then 2 weeks 

Become a member here yourself - Its cheap and you can submit directly and feel more in control.

All prices mentioned are way too high

Word of advice, never skimp on valuation of coins submitted - If you have to guess guess high  

Edited by jgrinz

11 hours ago, Mamee said:

Just what jgrinz said.  Becoming a member saves money, gives you a sense you have more control over your submissions and can be a lot of fun.  When submitting Economy you need to have patience.  Economy saves on money but adds to turn around time.

BTW:  Welcome and if you need assistance this is the place - just ask.  The folks here have decades of experience in coin collecting.

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Just what jgrinz said.  Becoming a member saves money, gives you a sense you have more control over your submissions and can be a lot of fun.  When submitting Economy you need to have patience.  Economy saves on money but adds to turn around time.

BTW:  Welcome and if you need assistance this is the place - just ask.  The folks here have decades of experience in coin collecting.

Nice and helpful topic, thank you.

Just want to know if you are sending coins for grading, what courier can be use way to ngc office?

I am worry that coin will be lost during the transport process. How about the return courier, can i choose a courier like fedex if i have account?

For tax rules since in our country (from Philippines) a little bit complicated, will they taxed me about the declared value of the coin,

the same when receiving back the coin. What arrangement should be done?

What kind of declaration that NGC will put when returning the coins?

I am sorry for my newbie question, but just started acquiring graded items rather than sending them however i am planning to send my accumulations of proof coins. I do not have any experience in sending coins, just watching some videos for my plan to start.

Looking forward for your good advices.

Your submission is closer to 30 bucks a coin from the sound of it, but there is his effort for submitting... 

Regarding SMS and steps, all the coins were specially struck and have the steps if I am not mistaken.  In fact I do not think they add full steps to the label because they are expected to be there.  The proof surfaces are what you are looking for.  Seek out the cameo or Ultra cameo

The seller is padding the grading cost to cover his shipping costs and also to give him a reason to deal with the hassle (his profit).

As far as the time involved - the dealer might only send coins periodically or he may be waiting until he has a certain number of coins to submit before he sends anything in. Either way, it's going to leave the OP waiting longer to get his coins back.

Like the others have said, your best bet is to join here yourself.

I have submitted quite a few world coins to NGC, both post 1955 and pre 1955, and now the process takes two months to finish, I guess NGC is being swamped by new submissions from all over the world. I submit and collect from their Hong Kong office by the way.

10 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Filbullion:  I always use the US Postal Service.

From his earlier response I believe he is in the Philippines, shipping and security of shipping from there might be different. (For example NGC return ships by Registered mail, very safe in the US, but once Registered mail leaves the country it is at the mercy of the local postal services and maximum liability if it is lost is $50.)  I doubt he has the US Postal Service there.

14 hours ago, Filbullion said:

Nice and helpful topic, thank you.

Just want to know if you are sending coins for grading, what courier can be use way to ngc office?

I am worry that coin will be lost during the transport process. How about the return courier, can i choose a courier like fedex if i have account?

For tax rules since in our country (from Philippines) a little bit complicated, will they taxed me about the declared value of the coin,

the same when receiving back the coin. What arrangement should be done?

What kind of declaration that NGC will put when returning the coins?

I am sorry for my newbie question, but just started acquiring graded items rather than sending them however i am planning to send my accumulations of proof coins. I do not have any experience in sending coins, just watching some videos for my plan to start.

Looking forward for your good advices.

You will have to use the Philippine Postal Service  and because it is currency by registered mail and insurance on top of that ( do not skimp on insurance )

( Not sure about Fedex or UPS - check with them on process)

The PPS should be able to help you on declarations and tax issues. ( When asking questions probably a good idea not tell them what will be in the box - just declared value) 

NGC always returns registered mail

Good Luck

21 hours ago, Filbullion said:

I am planning to fly in HK if necessary or to be more safe for my coins. Then to pick up on HK office if already available. Just looking my best options. Setting an appointment for submission which i hope to be normally easy or can walk through to the address? --- @ilLOminatus

Hi @Filbullion,

You will need to contact them first to make an appointment and then go to their office for both submission and pickup. Their address (which can be found on ngccoin.hk) is:

NGC Hong Kong Ltd.
Suite 1208-10, 12/F, Tower 1,
The Gateway, Harbour City,
25 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, 
Kowloon, Hong Kong

The direction is just to go in the long shopping mall and once you enter, turn right all the way and go to the third floor. There will be elevators, choose the appropriate tower and go to the 12th floor. 

Once you are in the office give them your submission and they will count your coins/banknotes together with you for confirmation and that's it. You will need to give credit card number as well, I dont think they accept cash but you can ask.

Hope this helps and best regards.

Happy collecting,

Lawrence / ilLOminatus