• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cleaned coin

11 posts in this topic

So bought an 1822 50c local coin shop they graded it XF but when i sent to ngc for grading

and encapsulated came back VF details cleaning. Did notice hairlines under the dark toned coin. I normally don’t go out on a limb with raw coins and i know why.. inexperience. 

Take the coin back to the dealer and tell him about it. Some of these dealers are  NGC approved dealers. Would be interesting to know what he says. 

By the way you're not the first and not the last that's bought an over graded coin from a dealer. 

If you haven't already go out and buy a book on grading on the coins you want to collect. 

websites can also show you the grades to compare with the coin. 

Trying to figure out if the coin is cleaned or other problems is always difficult. I've had lots of coins sent to NGC to come back with "details". Cleaned, damaged removed from jewelry etc.

Good luck. 

On 5/2/2019 at 9:40 PM, coinyear said:

So bought an 1822 50c local coin shop they graded it XF but when i sent to ngc for grading

and encapsulated came back VF details cleaning. Did notice hairlines under the dark toned coin. I normally don’t go out on a limb with raw coins and i know why.. inexperience. 

I can remember getting 2 out of 5 as not cleaned...don't feel bad...that certainly is a tougher issue for no problem grading these days....my favorite years are 1814 & 1827, I like the common dates also, I'm into the Overton also...on like every one...I have to believe the rarity scale also in my opinion....peace

On 5/2/2019 at 8:40 PM, coinyear said:

We all want higher grades and we don't want to be fooled (lied to) but UNC Details isn't exactly a body bag for a 1822 50c.  

Likely a pretty nice coin at the right price for the right collector.

my problem is if someone owns a coin shop and is grading pricing coins

based on industry standards they thats what i should be buying. As i said this 

coin dealer did give me full refund when i brought the raw coin i bought graded.