• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Year???

10 posts in this topic

Deductive reasoning leads me to say 1880. The first two digits are automatic. The third looks like it couldn't be anything but an 8. The last could be a 9 or a 0, but there were no 1889 shield nickels, thus 1880 seems to make sense.

59 minutes ago, JKK said:

Deductive reasoning leads me to say 1880. The first two digits are automatic. The third looks like it couldn't be anything but an 8. The last could be a 9 or a 0, but there were no 1889 shield nickels, thus 1880 seems to make sense.

Great deduction. 

No way can it be an 1880.  Date is way too small and compact. On the 1880 the right edge of the ball is just a little right of the center of the second 8.  On this coin it's over the right edge of the third digit. I'd say 1866, 68 or 69.  An image of the reverse might help.

Can't be an 1883, again the date logotype for 1883 is much wider and has a lot of space between each of the digits.

The reverse eliminates the 1866, I believe the reverse hub is the hub of 1870 so 68 and 69 are both still possible.

8 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Can't be an 1883, again the date logotype for 1883 is much wider and has a lot of space between each of the digits.

The reverse eliminates the 1866, I believe the reverse hub is the hub of 1870 so 68 and 69 are both still possible.

You are correct _ I should have looked at my own coin before commenting - I say its NOT an 1883  hhahah

Comparing to others of this wear

and with Condor101 direction, it looks like it is a 1868 as you can see a right side "8" indent where the nine

would not have one.

This is now my NEW guess heheh