• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this 1902 Indian Cent - RPD?

8 posts in this topic

Doesn't really look like an RPD but it has a lot going on in the "9" and the "0" and

Looks like the "2" is imprinted over something … I cannot figure it out.

Thanks for the help

1902_1.jpg

1902_2.jpg

1902_3.jpg

1902_4.jpg

Well....I've been ruminating on this one for a good long while now and I think I finally have decided on my theory.  From what I see, I think you have some die deterioration doubling and a cud in the 2.  The die deterioration would explain both the doubling and the cud.

I'm in the retained cud crowd and not an rpm; Mohawk's theory on the die deterioration also makes sense.  You could attempt to contact Rick Snow at Eagle Eye coins and forward your pics to him, he is the best expert I know of for IHCs.

5 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I'm in the retained cud crowd and not an rpm; Mohawk's theory on the die deterioration also makes sense.  You could attempt to contact Rick Snow at Eagle Eye coins and forward your pics to him, he is the best expert I know of for IHCs.

Message sent this morning to Rick .. I will keep you apprised of his comments.

Commenting on the die deterioration … The rest of the coin looks pretty good so I had discounted that. 

The "cud" comment I had also dismissed as it has a shape - there is also some "shape" going on in the upper part of the "2" which my

phone really cannot pull out.

Thanks for the referral  

I don't think anything is going on in the 90, the 2 has a die chip.  That style 2 frequently develops a chip there.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I don't think anything is going on in the 90, the 2 has a die chip.  That style 2 frequently develops a chip there.

With an answer like that - there must be some examples. I found similar kind of thing but they looked more of a fill in than what this looks like

that being said found there awesome pages on Indian and Flying Cents

Indian Varieties / Linked to the 02 page