• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 and 10 gold coins

9 posts in this topic

I recently purchased some $5 and $10 gold coins of various years dating back to the late 1890s and early 1900s.  I want to get the coins graded and valued.  I am picking the tier class gold coins and I don't understand where it says a maximum value up to $3,000.  What does that mean? In other words if the value of the coin is $6,000, will it still be graded and valued?  I don't know the value of the coins which is why I want to have them valued.  Can someone help me answer that question.  

Something tells me this is not going to end well.

What the Up to $3,000 means is that if you believe your coin is going to be worth more than $3,000 you need to select a higher tier that has a higher value limit.

As for how to determine what your coin will be worth, you need to estimate as best you can what you think the coin will grade and then determine the value at that grade.

What worries me is if you have purchased these coins without having any idea what they grade or what they are worth, I have to seriously wonder if they are going to turn out to have been worth grading.

Thank you for your response. These coins were found in the corner of roof while doing repairs.  The coins are in extremely good to great condition.  After reviewing what some of the photos of coins at auction have sold for is what prompted the question of the 3000 value. The coins appear, to me, to look better. Again thank you for the response, it is pretty clearly written and I just needed to make sure.

Great story about how they were found.  There's some superstition regarding leaving pennies in corners of the home for luck but I don't know anything about roofs.  

My suggestion would be to get an expert opinion from a local coin shop - sometimes hard to find but the stores with "Gold & Silver" in the name usually carry a variety of coins as well.  As far as $5 & $10 gold coins, there's plenty available in (low) mint state anywhere from $50-$80 above spot already graded.  Getting them graded and encased would help with guaranteeing authenticity but unless it's a key date or mint mark in less than mint state the cost to submit may not add much to value.

I would definitely consider the 1890 CC in the bottom right for grading.  As for the others I'm not certain how much value it'd add.  

Hoping somebody else chimes in, though.  Looks like a nice mix of coins there.