• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Be careful about fraudulent activity on eBay.

8 posts in this topic

eBay notified me that there was a eBay buyer that didn't have a registered account but made a purchase on one of my coins. I got paid on PayPal and eBay told me to go ahead and ship the coin. But apparently the eBay buyer said they didn't buy it so it was canceled. Fortunately eBay did a one time reimbursement for a coupon for me. But I'm not so sure about eBay anymore if people are able to hack eBay accounts make purchases and then cancel. Fortunately I'm not out of the cost for the coin but eBay is. Beware. 

2 hours ago, gtw-123 said:

Just some more information.  apparently the same Avatar and name that were on the eBay account are also on this forum. 

That's not too good.....I'm sorry to hear that you had that problem.  There's shady people everywhere.

I used to sell on ebay a decade or so ago, but now I am only a buyer.  Like most of us, I make sure the seller has excellent feedback and the higher the count the more confidence I have.  I also think that ebay buyer protection is pretty solid (I know seller are getting the short end of that stick) and has reimbursed me on several occasions when purchases never arrived.   Ebay is still a good experience for me, but I know that a major hack or something similar is probably looming.

Was it shipped to a different address than that of the user's paypal and Ebay has listed? 

In other words, was the address changed on the hacked account? 

Does anyone know if Ebay can press charges based on the address the coin was sent to? I sure hope they press the issue and catch the crook. 

eBay didn't give me all the details basically they just said that the person that was charged didn't by the coin. And that the eBay account was not registered with eBay.

From eBay: 

"
We recommend you take the following actions if this buyer won the item:
- If you haven't received payment, don't complete the sale or send the item to the buyer.
- Don't communicate with the buyer directly.
- Verify any payments you've been notified of by logging into your payment account (or other online payment service).
- If the buyer requests a refund or additional payments, don't send any money without contacting eBay first.
- If you've already sent the item, try contacting the shipping carrier to find out if you can stop shipment."

Happened to me two years ago , someone took $400+ out of my bank account I have my phone set up automatically to let me know what’s going on with my bank account then looked up on PayPal sure enough it was there!... Then I looked on eBay some seller was about to ship me a 1.5 HP industrial sewage sump pump ! I had to cancel the order contact the seller all was good! The seller refunded all my money .. Never happened again ! Changed my password often on both EBay and PayPal , so yeah this been going on for years on eBay change your password often protect your accounts , nothing is 100% safe these days with power of the internet full hackers and scammers preying off of people