• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1652 pine tree schilling

11 posts in this topic

If you want money, auction it in some way. If you just want it preserved, safe deposit box or bolted-down safe. If you want to make it the cornerstone of a great and topical collection, start collecting U.S. colonial coinage (state coppers, tokens possibly, and so on) and build something special.

I wouldn't let the environmental neg bother me too much. There simply are not that many of these. If you asked anyone who does not have one, which is nearly everyone, whether they would be delighted to have it, very few would say 'nah, I'm good.' Many would ford a river of steaming *spoon* to obtain it. It's valuable, so careful protection is in order.

Thanks, it is currently in a heavily bolted down safe some where. Would you venture a guess as to, and I hate to even venture into this but, it's relevant 

value compared to others you may have seen. Better, average, not so good.

Thanks again. 

V.LaBella Sr

Edited by Vincent J. LaBella Sr
Added coment

I happen to see these on Auctions sometimes Not a lot , they are rare to have not many of them , as for value I’ve seen them in “detail” grades auction off for $3,000-$5,000 and more it all depends on buyer how bad they really want it ... good amount of the ones I’ve seen were “detailed” it make sense you found it in dirt for free it doesn’t get any better than that ! 

4 hours ago, Vincent J. LaBella Sr said:

Thanks Jason, "dirt cheap" it was.

Me personally I wouldn’t sell it ... I don’t know about your collection or financial issue you might have to sell it , like I said you found it in dirt ! Not everyone finds a valuable rare older coin in dirt ... That’s like finding a needle in hay sack , if it were me and I had sell I would go with eBay to start off with a “reserve” set up around at least $2,500 or so even with “detailed” grade it’s still worth a nice sum of money , not a cheap coin or a coin you don’t see everyday .... if you want keep it ? Great ! Be the proud owner of this specific coin put it away and forget about it start working on rest of your collection ... Just be lucky you found it for free in dirt, unlike everyone else has to pay for it to have it their collection

What a very nice find.  Personally speaking, I think the condition is great, all things considered.  V., if you don't mind, tell us about your present collection, if you have one.

Thanks for sharing about your great coin.

Bruce

A bit of attribution/further information: 

This variety of small planchet Pine Tree Shilling is considered by Q. David Bowers to be the one most readily available, and it is considered a URS-11 (500 to 999 known). In his book,  the Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American Coins (2009), he assigns  it  the number W-835.  It also is classified as Noe-16 (Sydney Noe, The Silver Coinage of Massachusetts, 1971), and Crosby 21-L (Sylvester Crosby,  The Early Coins of America 1875. )

Bowers describes this variety as "Usually well struck and very attractive."

This reverse die was also used with 6 other obverse dies, on varieties listed as  Noe-17 through 22.

Yours is a very nice looking example, and a fantastic find. If I were in your shoes, I am not sure I could ever be convinced to part with a coin like that.