• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Can I Tell the Value?

8 posts in this topic

I was interested in possibly buying a coin.  Before doing so, I checked several sources to get an idea of what I should expect to pay.  I am not submitting pictures right now as my question has more to do with the coin's certified condition and value.  The coin in question is a 1923 S Peace Dollar, certified by NGC at MS 64+ (NGC Reg. 4602367-003).

When I look at the NGC online price guide, I see the price for MS 64+ at $700.  Other sources I have checked are in the same ballpark.

I then look the coin up by NGC registration number and it states the NGC price guide value is $65.

Please help me to understand the discrepancy.  What am I missing?.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi Bruce....I think I figured it out.  The coin attached to that certification number is a 1923 Philadelphia coin.  The S on the label before the dollar sign is how NGC denotes a silver dollar.  A 1923-S coin would show 1923-S S$1.  I'd say there's the reason for your price difference.

10 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Hi Bruce....I think I figured it out.  The coin attached to that certification number is a 1923 Philadelphia coin.  The S on the label before the dollar sign is how NGC denotes a silver dollar.  A 1923-S coin would show 1923-S S$1.  I'd say there's the reason for your price difference.

Mohawk,

Thank you so much.  It's nice to know I am not actually going crazy.  Your clarification is very helpful.

You are very busy on the chat boards.  Your answers are always very polite, welcoming and helpful.  Thanks for the time and effort you put in.

2 minutes ago, bwolper said:

Mohawk,

Thank you so much.  It's nice to know I am not actually going crazy.  Your clarification is very helpful.

You are very busy on the chat boards.  Your answers are always very polite, welcoming and helpful.  Thanks for the time and effort you put in.

Bruce,

Thank you for the kind words.  I really appreciate it and I'm always glad to help out when I can.

Cheers!

~Tom

7 hours ago, jgrinz said:

MOHAWK is a chatty one  :-) 

That I am but hopefully I'm helpful with most of my chattiness :)

On 4/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, bwolper said:

I was interested in possibly buying a coin.  Before doing so, I checked several sources to get an idea of what I should expect to pay.  I am not submitting pictures right now as my question has more to do with the coin's certified condition and value.  The coin in question is a 1923 S Peace Dollar, certified by NGC at MS 64+ (NGC Reg. 4602367-003).

When I look at the NGC online price guide, I see the price for MS 64+ at $700.  Other sources I have checked are in the same ballpark.

I then look the coin up by NGC registration number and it states the NGC price guide value is $65.

Please help me to understand the discrepancy.  What am I missing?.

Any help is appreciated.

If it were a "S" mint coin the cert would read 1923 S  S$1

The coin in question is posted 

1923p.jpg