• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan Dollar In Old, Clunker, Cool Slab

10 posts in this topic

I think you picked up a very cool piece of numismatic history with that slab and the label.  I've never seen one like that, and I think it's really cool that something graded and slabbed in 1985 is still intact.  It's really impressive and I'd love to have a nice ancient in something like that (but it'll never happen....sigh). Great pickup though!

The certificate is in excellent condition most likely because of the holder it was put in.  That is actually an aftermarket Capital Plastics holder.(I have several with different companies certificates.  They came in at least three colors, clear , white and black.)  Back in the 1980's Capital plastics made holders that would hold both the coin and their grading certificate.  You will notice the holder is only held together with standard nylon screws posts.  The only holders I have seen similar to these that I would consider original were one done by Silvertowne grading service that used copper rivets to hold it together.  The holder couldn't be opened without destroying it.

Edited by Conder101

My Feeling is if you have documentation with an actual slab it would be cool - A Sealed UNIT. 

Something in a screw together Capital plastics holder proves nothing as to the paperwork actually matching a

coin that could have been swapped out of the holder the coin is in.

I do find the old paperwork interesting though … Times past and all that

The capital plastic holder is merely a convenient way to keep the certificate and coin together.it does not guarantee they actually go together.  To determine that you use a magnifier and compare the coin to the photos on the certificate  to make sure the coin matches the certificate.