• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof and Specimen Sets

8 posts in this topic

I am a newbie who inherited close to 700 world coins plus 1 proof set with 5 coins and 1 "specimen" set containing 6 coins. My question is this:

I learned yesterday that when I submit my proof set, and my specimen set, they will be "cracked open" and removed from the original holders.  Once graded, each coin will be put into separate holders...thereby "sets" no longer.  I do not understand the logic in breaking up proof or specimen sets.  I assumed they would be removed from original holders, graded, and then put into new holders which would contain the entire set.   Can someone please explain this?  Thanks.

The Graders must "Crack Open" the OGP (Original Government Packaging) Holding the Coins, because the chance of Each Coin recieving the Same Grade is just about Guaranteed NOT to happen!......

Also, certain OGP Holders often contain some materials that are just NOT very good for long term Storage. Meaning that some of the metals in coins could negatively react with certain plasticizers that are contained in some of the Government Mint Holders. And therefore NGC (And other 3rd party Grading Services) Simply could NOT Guaranty that the coins would not Degrade in such Holders......Believe me, MANY Years and R and D Testing has gone into NGC/NCS Coming up with the most possible "INERT" Holder (Slab) materials available to make sure that Coins will look the same many decades after NGC Encapsulates them!

I do know that Many 3rd Party Grading companies such as NGC Does have "Oversized" Holders that can hold multible Coins....But Im not sure that this would be an option for your particular case......

I suggest that you give Customer Service a phone call to see what your options are, Unless another Member that is much more informed than I could chime in  ; - )

Sean Reilly

You are Very Welcome 😉 But Again, I would indeed call Cust. Serv. to see if Having A Special Set Placed into one of their Oversized Multi-Coin Holders IS an option......As you may get Lucky!

Sean.

Edited by Sean Reilly13
spelling

I believe they stopped making the multiholders in 2011. Not sure if they have revived them, other than the two-coin holders that they recently had an article on.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Multi-coin holders are no longer a general offering. They may be done for certain bulk submissions at the discretion of NGC.

Thank you all for your assistance!  Where I went wrong initially, before Sean explained, was assuming that all of the coins in a proof or specimen set would be graded identically, or very close to that.  So it did not make sense to break up a set; however, after reading Sean’s explanation of extremely low odds for all coins to receive the same grade, it makes perfect sense to holder individually and I will go with that plan.  Now I have a different question but will start a new chat.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, VAV said:

Thank you all for your assistance!  Where I went wrong initially, before Sean explained, was assuming that all of the coins in a proof or specimen set would be graded identically, or very close to that.  So it did not make sense to break up a set; however, after reading Sean’s explanation of extremely low odds for all coins to receive the same grade, it makes perfect sense to holder individually and I will go with that plan.  Now I have a different question but will start a new chat.

Smart move as a different Start post will pull in different persons that may help you.