• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1993 d steel cent????

12 posts in this topic

Not steel, but zinc. Since 1982, Lincoln cents have been made of copper plated zinc. Yours has just lost its copper plating. Check it with a magnet, just to be sure. It should not be attracted.

Welcome to The Forum.

I am trying to come up with a cute one liner using the words "Blue Ribbon," but I am only on my first cup of coffee, so maybe next time.

:)

50 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

Nice find ! Error coin collectors are looking for them sometimes ... worth keeping for your collection 

I should think the 'error coin' collectors looking for them would simply manufacture them by removing the copper plating. One could probably cook up hundreds and just spend any that show unsatisfactory results.

Getting them graded is a different story from what I heard graders can tell if coin had its layer removed or if it naturally done at the mint ....but again why waste time setting up equipment to remove a little copper plating over zinc ? Error coin collectors don’t pay that much for a “true” graded Lincoln cent missing is plating ... not that I seen any shelling out large money for them , but the true hardcore error coin collectors I’ve seen buy graded coins , or they know what they are looking for ... me however I’m not into to errors that much but I know a little about errors, and I wouldn’t buy one in raw condition 

my first guess what this lincoln cent was minted on a dime planchet but it doesn’t look like it . Hard to tell by picture 

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Not steel, but zinc. Since 1982, Lincoln cents have been made of copper plated zinc. Yours has just lost its copper plating. Check it with a magnet, just to be sure. It should not be attracted.

Welcome to The Forum.

I am trying to come up with a cute one liner using the words "Blue Ribbon," but I am only on my first cup of coffee, so maybe next time.

:)

I'm thinking that this coin hasn't lost its plating....I think that it gained another layer of zinc plating in a high school or college chemistry class.  This is a common occurrence and many of them end up in circulation once the novelty of having a silver colored cent wears off.

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

I'm thinking that this coin hasn't lost its plating....I think that it gained another layer of zinc plating in a high school or college chemistry class.  This is a common occurrence and many of them end up in circulation once the novelty of having a silver colored cent wears off.

You may be onto something.hm It would be nice to have the weight.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

You may be onto something.hm It would be nice to have the weight.

Agreed.  The weight could shed some more light on the issue, I think.

4 hours ago, Mohawk said:

BINGO!!....GIVE THIS MAN A STAR!!....

As I am also Very Confident that this IS Indeed the cause of the "Discoloration" of the Coin due to the fact that my Daughter Indeed Performed this Exact Experiment in her Chemistry Class by adding a thin layer of Zinc Via Electrolysis!.....

On 4/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, Mohawk said:

Studying is an essential part of the student journey, and it's a realm filled with challenges and triumphs. Personally, one hurdle I've encountered is effectively working on writing reflection worksheets. These assignments often left me feeling lost in a sea of thoughts, making it challenging to put my ideas down coherently. In my quest to improve my reflection writing skills, I stumbled upon the "writing reflection worksheet" from Storyboard That. These worksheets provide a structured approach to organizing my thoughts and turning them into meaningful reflections. They've been a real game-changer, helping me express my ideas clearly and earn better grades on reflective essays. If you're in the same boat, struggling with reflection writing, I highly recommend giving these worksheets a try. You can find them on the Storyboard That platform. I assure you they'll make a significant difference in your writing. Remember, we all face unique study challenges, but with the right resources, we can overcome them and thrive in our academic pursuits!

My hunch is that this coin hasn't lost its plating. Instead, it might have gained an extra layer of zinc plating through a chemistry experiment, probably in a high school or college class. This is a fairly common occurrence, and it's no surprise that these modified coins eventually find their way into circulation once the novelty of having a silver-colored cent wears off.

Edited by Linda_Latch