• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Jefferson Nickle DDO?

7 posts in this topic

I was going through my collection and came across this nice 1969 Jefferson Nickle. looks like double die but most of what I think is a double die turns out to be Die shift. What do you all think? if anything, it is nice to look at. 

1969- s.PNG

1969.PNG

Edited by Dukemnm

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That is just strike doubling, aka machine doubling. It's interesting but has no added value.

22 minutes ago, Mokiechan said:

DWLange actually has a nice article on the subject here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/

Thank you for the article @Mokiechan and Great article @DWLange  It definitely helps me understand the difference. So even the WE at the top is Machine Doubling? it doesn't appear to be flat.  Definitely going back to my coins to study them again look :D I want to get good at this. 

1 hour ago, Dukemnm said:

Thank you for the article @Mokiechan and Great article @DWLange  It definitely helps me understand the difference. So even the WE at the top is Machine Doubling? it doesn't appear to be flat.  Definitely going back to my coins to study them again look :D I want to get good at this. 

The WE still looks like Machine Doubling to me, but of course a picture is never going to be as easy to evaluate as the actual Nickel.