• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on s. African 50 cent coin

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone I'm new to coin collecting but I found a 1994 s African 50 cent coin that has major doubling on both the front and back of the coin.  As I am collecting u.s. coins I don't know anything about other coins I was wondering if it was usual for these coins to have doubling or is it unusual like u.s. coins ? Is it worth money? And if so where in the ft. Lauderdale Florida area I can sell it.  Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can give me 

1 hour ago, X-Brian-X said:

Hi everyone I'm new to coin collecting but I found a 1994 s African 50 cent coin that has major doubling on both the front and back of the coin.  As I am collecting u.s. coins I don't know anything about other coins I was wondering if it was usual for these coins to have doubling or is it unusual like u.s. coins ? Is it worth money? And if so where in the ft. Lauderdale Florida area I can sell it.  Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can give me 

The best help I can give you is to ask you to post clear obverse and reverse photos. Without those, we can't assess the potential doubling.

I'm with Jonathan.  That appears to be mechanical doubling, which would give the coin no premium in value.  As far as pricing for that particular coin,  NGC's price guide lists a value of $1.00 for a 1994 South African 50 Cents in MS 63.  Your coin definitely is not mint state.  I'm guessing your coin would be one of those that would end up in my former employer's 25 cent World Coin box. 

Sorry the news wasn't better.

17 minutes ago, X-Brian-X said:

Thanks I appreciate y'all taking the time to read and reply 

No problem.  Always glad to help!

Better luck next time!

~Tom

Brian,

I second that vote on your pics.  Excellent detail.

Question for the forum: What is mechanical doubling as opposed to an actual double die?  Thanks ahead.

Bruce

3 hours ago, bwolper said:

Brian,

I second that vote on your pics.  Excellent detail.

Question for the forum: What is mechanical doubling as opposed to an actual double die?  Thanks ahead.

Bruce

Good question. You may find it amusing to learn that we get several people every day with mechanical doubling (which has varying terms) who are just sure they have found double dies.

The difference is simple. Mechanical doubling, machine doubling, strike doubling, or whatever one calls it, happens when the dies strike the planchet. A double die occurs in the creation of a die from its hub. Thus, until the error die is removed from use for whatever reason (discovery of error, simple wear, premature failure, nosebleed), every coin struck by that die will reflect the doubling. I do not know all the reasons mechanical doubling occurs, but I believe they involve subtle movements or shifts of the planchet in the collar. That seems to me more likely than the die moving out of a vertical path, but I'm just speculating there.

In any case, the way we tell the difference is by taking a good look close up (as in the photos for which the OP was rightly praised). Mechanical doubling tends to create a shelfy look, like a stair step leading up to the device. The shadow devices are lower in relief than the regular devices. On double dies I have seen, however, the second devices appear in about the same relief as the firsts. If you look up a good zoomed pic of a 1955 or 1972 DDO, you will see what I mean. The second set of dates stand as tall as the first--because they were a feature of the die itself, not the result of a planchet movement.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:55 PM, Mokiechan said:

This very NGC site actually has a wonderful comparison between machine/strike/mechanical doubling and a true doubled die coin:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/

And I agree with the rest, your photos are top notch.   :)

Perfect!  Thank you.