• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about a 1964 Nickel?

11 posts in this topic

Cameo most often refers to uncirculated (typically proof) coins with devices that stand out from glossy fields in a sort of matte relief (though it would be possible for some of the cameo effect to survive limited circulation). This is a circulated example of one of the most common Jeff nickel issues, so cameo does not apply. It's only worth $0.05.

Here is an example of the real deal.

Edited by JKK

Do u know why it has that black look to it.. I had this nickel for a long time before I got more interested in coins.  I thought it was awesome looking so I kept it in a coin sleeve until I seen an article on the cameo nickel... I just needed to find out...

My guess for the black coloration is some kind of corrosion or environmental damage.  These kinds of damage result from storage in a hostile environment or exposure to some kind of chemical agent which causes the metal to begin breaking down.  Jefferson Nickels are 75% copper, which is a very reactive metal that is prone to these kinds of problems when circulated or stored improperly.  I think your coin is just showing the effects of 55 years of circulation.

46 minutes ago, Missbella said:

Do u know why it has that black look to it.. I had this nickel for a long time before I got more interested in coins.  I thought it was awesome looking so I kept it in a coin sleeve until I seen an article on the cameo nickel... I just needed to find out...

It's good you asked. I think it's just circulation effects of tarnish and crudulation, as Tom described. The nickel is very tough stuff, but the copper not so much.

Just now, Just Bob said:

Is that a real word? ???

If it's not, it should be.  If you have any experience with zinc coins or ancient bronzes, crudulation is a necessary term at times :).   Have you ever seen an ancient suffering from bronze disease?  That is the very definition of crudulation.

5 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Have you ever seen an ancient suffering from bronze disease?  That is the very definition of crudulation.

Not only have I seen it, I own a couple.

I think I may start using this word, too.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Not only have I seen it, I own a couple.

I think I may start using this word, too.

In the coin world, I have found it most helpful. Enjoy.