• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776-1976 TYPE 1 $1 Eisenhower

6 posts in this topic

Any chance this variety gets designated for automatic attribution similar to the 1939 REV OF 38 5C?  It seems like a far simpler reverse to identify even for non-numismatists

Just curious. I don't know how often the guidelines for VarietyPlus are reviewed.

Thanks,

Craw-

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Type 1 and Type 2 designations are added automatically as part of the grading process. The VarietyPlus page for Eisenhower Dollars specifies No Fee for these:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-1971-1978/

31 minutes ago, DWLange said:

The Type 1 and Type 2 designations are added automatically as part of the grading process. The VarietyPlus page for Eisenhower Dollars specifies No Fee for these:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-1971-1978/

Thank you, sir.  I must be overlooking where it specifies it's automatic.  I was looking for something similar to the following:

"Comments:  NGC denotes the reverse type automatically in grading all 1939 nickels, and it is not necessary to request VarietyPlus Service."

I presume my invoice would be revised on the recent submission (not yet received on your end) if I put it down as a VarietyPlus Service, correct? [Disregard, wrong place for this question.]

Edited by CRAWTOMATIC
redaction

Anyone know about this coin, "

1776-1976-S Silver George Washington CTSP 250th Anniversary - 1982 NGC MS-66

"1776-1976-S Silver George Washington CTSP 250th Anniversary - 1982 NGC MS-66" I won the bid recently.

I like to know how many this coin was minted, when & by who.

And, wondering why 250 year of  George Washington's birthday, why with Eisenhower's image on the obverse ?

Anyone knows ?

It's NGC graded.            Julia

@PricelssPeace-- Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your inquiry would likely receive more attention from forum members if posted as a new topic in the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum or the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum instead of as a reply to someone else's essentially unrelated topic from nearly five years ago.  

The item about which you were inquiring started out as an uncirculated 1976-S silver clad (40% silver) bicentennial reverse Eisenhower dollar, which was included in approximately 4.9 million three-coin bicentennial collectors' sets, which are very common. Subsequently, a private party counterstamped the coin with an image commemorating the 250th anniversary of George Washington's birth in 1982. NGC was apparently willing to grade and encapsulate some of these counterstamped coins as collectors' items of a kind sometimes referred to as "exonumia".  NGC certificate verification doesn't provide any information beyond what is printed on the label and doesn't indicate how many have been made or graded by NGC. Verify NGC Certification | NGC (ngccoin.com). Presumably, the person or organization who counterstamped the coin used a dollar because it was large enough to accommodate the counterstamp, which a Washington quarter could not.

Unfortunately, I don't have any further information about this counterstamp. Hopefully, another forum member can tell you more.