• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prussia 20 Mk question

11 posts in this topic

Good evening all,

I figured I’d ask this question on this forum given NGC has more of a world coin base than its CU brethren (maybe Coin Talk but I digress). I’ve got a 1913 20 Mark and was wanting to start collecting Prussia/other 20 marks and was wondering why the greater value is placed on say the 1875 Heinrich XXII vs 1915 Wilhelm II 20 Mark? https://www.ma-shops.com/shops/maCategory.php?catid=8&lang=en&limit=200&paymentOPorCC=on&sortby=preis_eur&desc=desc

- Matthew

I think the simple answer is: rarity.

The total mintage for the Heinrich XXII (KM 125) is a mere 1510 coins, as opposed to the over 1.6 million Wilhelms (KM 537) minted in 1915. There are obviously  far fewer surviving specimens of the former, thus, much higher price.

I love the reverses of both of those coins, by the way.

12 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I think the simple answer is: rarity.

The total mintage for the Heinrich XXII (KM 125) is a mere 1510 coins, as opposed to the over 1.6 million Wilhelms (KM 537) minted in 1915. There are obviously  far fewer surviving specimens of the former, thus, much higher price.

I love the reverses of both of those coins, by the way.

I too love the reverses of these coins! It harkens back to a different time when men were men and sheep were scared 😂. I am seriously wanting to get into these old 20 Marks Justin not sure where to start in terms of rarity.

For the common ones, I bought several from bullionexchanges.com  at a very low premium over spot.  Although the dates are random, I got a good mix.  If you call them, they might be able to assure different dates, I bought them just as bullion so I didn't care.  Here are some pics so you can see the quality of the coins I received.

g3.JPG

g4.JPG

g1.JPG

g2.JPG

I’ll take that into consideration though I’d probably appreciate  the collector quality ones. I find them to be more interesting than the more modern stuff. 

the more modern stuff. 

You do know they stopped making these in 1913, right?  Edit - I may have misread your remark.  I find the older gold far more interesting than the "modern" (post-1933) items.  These gold 20 mark coins have such a low premium over melt, they are hard to overlook.  British Sovereigns would probably be another choice, but they are still being made and not a closed series.

14 minutes ago, JIM F. said:

You do know they stopped making these in 1913, right?

Yes I do. I’m referring to coins minted 1960 to present. 

2 hours ago, JIM F. said:

You do know they stopped making these in 1913, right?  Edit - I may have misread your remark.  I find the older gold far more interesting than the "modern" (post-1933) items.  These gold 20 mark coins have such a low premium over melt, they are hard to overlook.  British Sovereigns would probably be another choice, but they are still being made and not a closed series.

I’m finding the rarer dates a harder pill to swallow ie 1915A wilhelm II for an almost MS for roughly $2k+ or 1913A Otto or 1886 Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha Ernst II 30 Mark. Thoughts? They looks beautiful though.

17 hours ago, JIM F. said:

Sovereigns are great to collect, but you have over 200 years for the modern sovereigns 1817-2019. You also have five countries and seven mints that issued sovereigns to contend with not to mention all of the varieties. Some are very expensive and hard to find. Good luck.

Sovereigns are great to collect, but you have over 200 years for the modern sovereigns 1817-2019. You also have five countries and seven mints that issued sovereigns to contend with not to mention all of the varieties. Some are very expensive and hard to find.

True, but the full set of Prussia 20M has some expensive coins also.  If one wants a complete set of any pre-33 gold coins, the $2.50 Indian is a viable option, with just the 11-D being a high value coin.  I put 2 sets of these together in the past, and they are all readily available with a little bit of patience.

11 minutes ago, JIM F. said:

True, but the full set of Prussia 20M has some expensive coins also.  If one wants a complete set of any pre-33 gold coins, the $2.50 Indian is a viable option, with just the 11-D being a high value coin.  I put 2 sets of these together in the past, and they are all readily available with a little bit of patience.

I am currently working on a WWI Saints set, a WWI Prussia set (hence this topic), a WWII 50¢, and a WWII 5 Reich mark set of better dates. I am not as knowledgeable on the said world coins as I’d like to be hence the research. I’d be open to an interesting/rarer date British set as well.

- Matt