• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 d quarter possibly rpm/ddr

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, found this quarter which has doubling on America and the d mint mark. What would  be your suggestion on this one. I also have a 1962 d quarter with possibly rpm.

20190418_174509.jpg

Since there is doubling on both the America and the mint mark, I strongly suspect machine doubling on this one.  That type of doubling is very prevalent on US coins from the 1960's for some reason.

Oops....I forgot about the 1962-D! Sorry about that.  The 1962-D does look like it could be an RPM, but with the prevalence of machine doubling on US coins of this era, this can be a tricky attribution.  I tried checking NGC Variety Plus and saw no listings for a 1962-D RPM Washington and I checked CONECA, and there are listings of 1962-D Washingtons with RPMs, but there were no photos!  As I am not very familiar with the silver Washington series, I'm going to have to hope that someone who is can chime in here but I will give you this advice to start with: check over the rest of the reverse for doubling.  If there is any, then you likely have machine doubling on your hands.  If there isn't any, then I'd think that would increase the likelihood of a true RPM.

15 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Oops....I forgot about the 1962-D! Sorry about that.  The 1962-D does look like it could be an RPM, but with the prevalence of machine doubling on US coins of this era, this can be a tricky attribution.  I tried checking NGC Variety Plus and saw no listings for a 1962-D RPM Washington and I checked CONECA, and there are listings of 1962-D Washingtons with RPMs, but there were no photos!  As I am not very familiar with the silver Washington series, I'm going to have to hope that someone who is can chime in here but I will give you this advice to start with: check over the rest of the reverse for doubling.  If there is any, then you likely have machine doubling on your hands.  If there isn't any, then I'd think that would increase the likelihood of a true RPM.

Thanks tom, I see doubling on states, America, and dollar. 

20190419_120248.jpg

Hey Hinkle,

Thanks for that information.  I'm not ready to completely throw out the possibility of an RPM on the 1962-D just yet, but the doubling on other parts of the reverse makes me think machine doubling more.  When I was a newbie in 1999 and 2000, this whole RPM/Double Die/Machine Doubling thing gave me several false alarms.  While I'll be more comfortable when someone who has been working with silver Washingtons more recently than I have chimes in, I'm going to vote machine doubling based on the new information you have provided.

While this isn't the greatest answer, I hope that it is helpful!

Cheers!

~Tom