• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Tips for Morgan's

7 posts in this topic

Hi, there are a few Morgans that have been taped for 30 years and also look like there's glue.

I have read about some methods but am interested in what works. 

My question is how to remove the heavy adhesives? 

Thanks

IMG_2745.jpg

Just let it be and move onto the next one is what i would do. If you're dead set on trying to remove it, I suggest just some warm water and soap and do not scrub it. Blotch at it at first with a non abrasive cloth. If that doesnt work, then soak it for 20 minutes in warm water with a little soap again. Try not to rub it as much as possible. 

You could also try acetone.  That's a pretty good solvent for coins but be careful with it.....it's very flammable, has some nasty fumes and will dry your skin out like crazy!  If you try acetone, do it in a well ventilated area and wear gloves.

That ole girl does look a little rough!! Bipolar is right. It would make a good starter in a silver stash jar. :)

If you want to mess with it a little try a fingernail polish remover dip on it. Just for kicks.

3 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

That ole girl does look a little rough!! Bipolar is right. It would make a good starter in a silver stash jar. :)

If you want to mess with it a little try a fingernail polish remover dip on it. Just for kicks.

That's a good call Rick....a little gentler and easier to handle version of the ol' acetone treatment.  I'd say that's a good place to start.

I am a gentleman -- I do my dipping outside. :wink: Some of the dips I use for preservation will eat your drains up under the sink. Acetone is tough stuff and rinses off well with a water hose outside of the house. ;)