• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pondering about submitting for grading anyone have any idea on grade and value or is it not worth submitting?

24 posts in this topic

I think the best grade the half dollar could possibly get is MS65, that would make it worth $30 but I don't think you could find a buyer at that price.

The cent looks like it has toning, something may have gotten on it or it could be from the end of a roll.

I'm not very good at Morgans and it is hard to tell from the photo but I think I see raised dots below the S in STATES above the F of OF and below the D of DOLLAR.

11 minutes ago, Mason254 said:

Dont see a point in counterfeiting due to most saying there not worth anything

Don't confuse 'not worth grading' with 'not worth anything'.  Graded coins and raw coins are different market segments.  If you work on identifying value that's the start.  I read a fine article years ago where the author defined it mathematically; value = rarity + condition.  That's simple, but true.  Expanded upon that you learn is this coin series popular with collectors?  What is their price point for buying?  If you have an idea of the retail value of these coins then you have an idea of what your cost to acquire them should be.  

Grading coins, and high end specimens even raw, would require another lesson is condition rarity, market trends, larger economic trends that may affect budgets available for purchasing coins, and general state of the hobby as a whole.

I've only been absorbing for 3 years or so and have a lot to learn.  I find it best to focus on one particular coin series at a time and to learn the manufacturing processes & history along the way.  For me, it was Jefferson Nickels I appreciated first.  No real sentimental tie to the coin itself but I liked the way it looked.  Over time you'll start to see what makes the coin special to those long time collectors and find yourself plucking out a few for a small box "just to hold onto".  Then move onto the next coin series that catches your attention.  

I only wish I had found these forums earlier.  There are A LOT of seasoned collectors with so much knowledge.  Plus the nerd in me is all like, "WOAH, is that the David Lange & Mark Feld?!" when I see them replying to things.  I'm sure there's other names I haven't picked up on yet but industry heavyweights like that active here makes me feel like I found a good spot.

Sorry, I talk a lot.  Really passionate about numismatics the last few years.

What are you wanting to submit these for?  Do you need them for registry sets?  Are you wanting to sell these and feel that they will sell for more in a slab?  Want to protect a family treasure that's been handed down?  Want to test your grading skills?  Any of these reasons and more could be good reasons to submit and each reason has its own motivation.  If your looking to sell then you need to decide will putting these into a slab help or hurt the bottom line.  Only you know what your cost is on these but lets take the Morgan as an example.  This date/mm is super common, biased on the pics it looks real and could grade 64 or 65 imo.  64's sell for $40 to $60 on average in slabs and 65's for $100 to $120 on average looking at past auction results, so the question is will it benefit you to spend the money to submit vs selling raw.   For what it's worth I think your Morgan will grade MS64.  I don't collect halfs but would expect the 1964 to grade MS63 or MS64, no way to give an opinion on the 1971 with only an obv image.

If your goal is to sell, my gut reaction is to sell these raw and avoid the slabbing fees, but that is just my opinion and you will need to decide if you feel the extra fees will result in faster, and higher selling results.  Good luck whichever way you decide.

Edited by Coinbuf

38 minutes ago, Edthelorax said:

I am NOT saying your coin is a replica. I can not tell from those pictures.

I do recommend looking at all the counterfeits available to get  an idea of what they look like.

1885 Morgan for $1.20 available here

Better/sharper images would help, but based on what I see, I think the 1885-O $1 is genuine.

Absolutely thanks guy for the positive feedback! Coinbuf I really appreciate the positive information you have given me yes some of my coins in my collection have been gifted to from my grandfather other pieces I collected myself as a kid going to different estates sales with him from hard earned money I earned while working on his farm during the summer so yes not all are for momentary gain other yes however the preservation of history means a lot and as a novice collector I enjoy the fact that something will always be waiting to be discovered in numismatics!

On 4/19/2019 at 12:36 AM, MAULEMALL said:

The 85o is a pretty coin that won't grade above ms63. The reverse is nice but the breast is really weak. Typical of that mint .

A really nice common Morgen.

Yeah that 1885-o has been in a coin book for a long time. 

MS 63 is good for me too yet may pull a VAM-11 which might make it worth sending in at a R-5